AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How can I reduce humming in my speakers?

353 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dean Roddey 
#1 ·
I've got a SB Audigy that I'm using, 1/8" jack to rca on my receiver. When i make this connection I get alot of humming. Whats the best way to reduce this? Do I need a better cable from the computer to the receiver. The current cable is 12ft long and was fairly inexpensive. Or is this sound card just not sufficient?

#4 ·
if possible, plug you PC and your stereo setup into the same power outlet to try and give yourself a common ground. Your humming could be caused by a ground loop. Also, do you have a tuner card in your PC and is it hooked up to CABLE TV? If so you way have a ground loop from the cable company. Try disconnecting the cable feed to see if the hum goes away.

In my case, the only way I was able to complete remove the humming problem was to get a hoontech DB III daughter board for my audigy and use a optical SPDIF connection between my pc and stereo.

#5 ·
Had the same problem, it was a ground loop.

2 methods to correct:

$15 Ground Loop Isolator from Radioshack

or

Buy a cheater plug for your PC that has the external ground, converting a 3-prong plug into a 2-prong. I'm sure I'll get a speach on how defeating the ground on your box is dangerous, but it works & I've used it this way for a year now with no issues - and I do understand the risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.