AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motherboard has onboard sound with the standard 5x 3.5mm jacks and 1x SPDIF output.

My headphones are currently plugged into the mic-in jack and the line-out jack (which has an amp so it's the best option for headphones).

That leaves 3 other unused jacks. One of these is a line-in which I don't need. The other two can output 2 audio streams each for a surround sound set up.

I want to have my 2.0 speakers plugged into the rear audio jack. My idea is to have my speakers and headphones plugged in all the time and then just toggle between them in Windows. To do this I need to create a "virtual" audio output that appears as a quadraphonic set up but in reality takes the stereo audio stream and routes it to the rear channels, so they play through my speakers.

Any ideas or solution that can do this?

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I know of no such thing.

Some Mobos allows front panel headphone jack, you plug in headphones, rear audio off, unplug phones, rear audio on. Consult Mobo manual if necessary.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I agree with MrBobb, ... but ... not fully understanding your needs, could you simply get a stereo Y cable and feed the same signal to your headphones and 2.0 speakers? Both would get the same signal which may be a problem.

If you are an electronics guy, you could buy 3 stereo jacks and a DPDT switch and select which got the signal with a trivial box and wiring.

Amazon or eBay may have something like this ... look for A-B switch.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It sounded like you have a 5.1 sound chip on board, except that you said the headphone jack has an amp. Do you plug the headphones in and it works fine or do you use an external amp?
Assuming that it's a "normal" headphone jack, You'll want to know the manufacturer of the chip. The chip's drivers control any sound output capability.
Whoever made the sound chip's driver's may have a control that lets you do what you want. The MB manufacturer (if a custom build) or PC manufacturer (if not) may be able to help.
Unfortunately, that's unlikely, as the chip maker, mb maker and/or PC maker just took off-the-shelf drivers and shipped them with their respective product.
Hope isn't lost, as there are packages that can install new sound drivers to take over the low-level drivers of the sound chip. You just have the hard task of finding them, then see if it works for your purpose.

Some potentially easier inexpensive solutions include:
In addition to the y-splitter suggested before, get an extender with volume control for the headphone side. That way if you want the 2.0 speakers to play, you can turn down the headphones so their not making a distracting noise as you're not using them.
Get a cheap USB DAC and plug in the 2.0 speakers, leaving the headphones exactly as they are. Once installed and drivers are in place, you can do just what you want, which is to use the sound control panel to change outputs.
I see USB DACs for less than $5 on newegg, less than $10 on Amazon and Microcenter searching for 'sound card'. They also include another mic-in jack.

My motherboard has onboard sound with the standard 5x 3.5mm jacks and 1x SPDIF output.
My headphones are currently plugged into the mic-in jack and the line-out jack (which has an amp so it's the best option for headphones).
That leaves 3 other unused jacks. One of these is a line-in which I don't need. The other two can output 2 audio streams each for a surround sound set up.
I want to have my 2.0 speakers plugged into the rear audio jack. My idea is to have my speakers and headphones plugged in all the time and then just toggle between them in Windows. To do this I need to create a "virtual" audio output that appears as a quadraphonic set up but in reality takes the stereo audio stream and routes it to the rear channels, so they play through my speakers.
Any ideas or solution that can do this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts