AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a budget outdoor speaker system and ran a cat5 and 2 speaker wires from the amplifier inside to a junction box outside. I would like to use 1 pair out of the cat5 to switch on/off the amplifier from outside by installing a simple toggle switch inside the waterproof flip open cover on the junction box.

How can I trigger a 120v relay using a toggle switch over cat5? I'd prefer to do it by closing the "ground" circuit rather than having voltage running through the cat5. (The reason for that is I'm using another pair from the cat5 for an outside-auxiliary input and I dont want any noise being introduced)

Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only way I can think to do it is to get a 120v relay with 12v coils and use a small wall-wart 12v power supply as my trigger power source. The cat5 should be able to handle the voltage required to trigger the relay.

I'd just use one pair in the cat 5 wired to the toggle switch to open/close the negative output on the power supply and have the positive output wired directly to the 12v trigger contact on the relay?

It's been years since I've messed with a relay, does that logic add up?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
If you use a DC rather than AC wallwart for your relay coil energize circuit - you won't get any hum. Only AC produces hum.

If you can't get a true DC supply- you could always build a simple 4 diode full wave rectifier and attach that to the output from the AC wallwart.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_6.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts