AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "built in" that houses all my components. Getting a look behind each component requires that cables be unplugged and componets pulled out (not enough "play" in cables to turn components around). DirecTV was at my home today switching out my HR21 HD DVR and I'm concerned that they may have just hooked a coax cable to my HR21 rather than the HDMI cable (I looked back behind my HR21 DVR and can see an HDMI cable just floating around in the back, but I've got so many cables I can't tell where the HDMI cable originates from). I can also see what appears to be an optical cable floating around. I can reach back behind and feel what appears to be one HDMI cable hooked up, but I can't tell if that's from my blu-ray player. I can also feel one coax cable hooked to the HR21.

Is there any way to tell, without pulling stuff out, and getting a visual...........if I'm receiving my signal/s via HDMI?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Simple. Do the channels from the HR21 appear on the HDMI input of the TV or receiver?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I'm 99% positive the HR2X models don't have an RF out. As the PP stated, when you select the HDMI input on your display, do you see any video from the HR21?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrose /forum/post/16939308

Simple. Do the channels from the HR21 appear on the HDMI input of the TV or receiver?

I know I sound like an absolute dolt, but can you explain (baby steps please) the steps to take in order to figure this out. Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/16939723

I'm 99% positive the HR2X models don't have an RF out. As the PP stated, when you select the HDMI input on your display, do you see any video from the HR21?

What role does the HR21 not having an "RF out" play in my scenario.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm getting what I paid for (HDMI signals rather than coax quality).

·
Registered
711 Posts
What about hitting the format button the remote? If HDMI or component isn't being used, I doubt anything but 480i resolution would be output.

The coax you feel is most-likely from the dish to your receiver.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq /forum/post/16943209

What about hitting the format button the remote? If HDMI or component isn't being used, I doubt anything but 480i resolution would be output.

The coax you feel is most-likely from the dish to your receiver.

Is coax the only way to receive the signal from the dish (to the receiver)?

Again, thanks for helping out a rookie!

·
Registered
22,646 Posts
As suggested in posts #2 and #3... using the remote (of perhaps front panel of the TV), press the button to select the desired "input".

Toggle through until "HDMI" is specified. If you don't get a picture from the HR21 you have the answer.

At that point, either you can pull out all of the hardware or you can pay someone to properly check/connect the cabling.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Two suggestions.

You can look behind components using a small mirror and a flashlight. This is difficult but often saves lots of time moving components.

Second suggestion. Whenever you install cables make sure there is 4' to 5' of play in them. This allows you to pull the component out and set it on a stool in front of the cabinet while you check it out. I do this for all my components except the A/V receiver which simply has too many cables connected. However my A/V receiver is mounted in the cabinet with a hole in the cabinet behind it so I can re-connect anything there by getting behind that cabinet. (My A/V receiver is a complex unit as I have maybe 9 things connected to it... 2 VCRs, DVD burner, PS3, Video disk player, audio cassette unit, receiver with firewire, HDTV, satellite receiver)

Rick R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts