AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered 100 Taiyo Yuden DVD-r's from Rima.com. The discs are totally blank with no indication of the manufacturer. Is this normal for Taiyo Yuden discs? How can I tell they are legit?

· Registered
2,569 Posts
OK- If Rima says they are TY, they are. All TY that they sell have purple under and silver with no logo on top. I have had 100% with these on the E-80 which is finicky with the korean types- when I say finicky ,I mean 5 out of 100 but less than that in coasters. The korean types-Fuji, etc all have recovery on the E-80-TY does not. TY is unbelievable from Rima.com

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by piano632
Many discs you buy from bulk suppliers are blank/unbranded on top. You can always read the manufacturer ID off the disc using a program like DVD Identifier:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
Thanks for the link. The discs from rima are in fact Taiyo Yuden. I also have panasonic and khypermedia and they are made by cmc.

· Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonGuy
OK- I have had 100% with these on the E-80 which is finicky with the korean types- when I say finicky ,I mean 5 out of 100 but less than that in coasters. The korean types-Fuji, etc all have recovery on the E-80-TY does not. TY is unbelievable from Rima.com
Exactly what are the Korean type Fuji. For my personal use I primarily use Fuji dvd-r's on my 14 month old E-80. That is about over 400 Fuji dvd-r's Almost all of them were 1x speed in 10 jewel pack & 50 & 100 spindles. Most of these were ordered from BestBuy.com. I only had one coaster using these Fuji's. Of course all of these were 1x speed Fuji's. But I am running out and can't find any more 1x speed ones so I have a 100 spindle of 4x Fuji's coming in. I hope these fo not give me any problems.

· Registered
96 Posts
I have four 50 pack 8x Fuji spindles from Best Buy (at two different recent sales for 60 cents each, one 50 cents after a rebate) that should all be TYG02. I only checked the first two spindles. They were made in Japan and all have the TY box (wider at the bottom). I was in the store today and noticed that BB still had a lot of these on the shelves.

If you buy the Maxells made in Japan, they should be TYs or Maxells. The boxes are identical, but my TYs had the white washer like cushion on the top and the actual Maxells did not.

· Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LSC
...If you buy the Maxells made in Japan, they should be TYs or Maxells. The boxes are identical, but my TYs had the white washer like cushion on the top and the actual Maxells did not.
I think the TY's and Maxell's both have the white washer on the spindle. To tell the difference between the TY and Maxell-in-house flavors, look in the package near the spindle. The TY's have numbers on the DVD, close to the center, the Maxell's don't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.