AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
743 Posts
I believe the best you can do is split the coax signal BEFORE it goes into your cable box. This will let you watch the analog channels (sorry, no digital channels) while the replay is recording something from the cable box.

· Registered
673 Posts
Hotkey,

Does the TV have any other inputs? such as RCA or S-Video?

If it doesn't, you're SOL.

If it does, you can put one branch of the splitter to the TV, and the other branch of the splitter to the RTV. Then use S-Video or RCA to connect the RTV to the TV set.

Hope that helps!

~Scallica~

· Registered
554 Posts
If your TV only has ONE set of inputs, you can purchase a 20.00 Input selector switch. Basically, it allows you to connect up to 4 auxillary devices to ONE set of inputs, selectable using a push button switch. Just tune your TV to the input, and press the button you want to watch.

However, is you are splitting your signal before it comes into the cable box, I doubt you will need anything extra. One leg of the split goes to the TVs Coax cable connection just like it is suppose to, the second leg of the split goes into the cable box, out to the replaytv and OUT to the aux inputs on the Television. You watch analog TV just by changing channels, but if you want to watch digital channels OR recorded shows, you just switch to the TVs aux input and there you have it.

· Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
How can I watch TV while I record?
The best alternative is to use ReplayTV as it was intended.

STOP watching live TV.

Watch something else that was recorded earlier.

If you want to watch/record 2 concurrent programs, buy yourself a second (or third replayTV).

Sorry for the sarcasm.

It is not a matter of how to split a signal.

It is a matter of how to use replayTV.

I have used up 9 input connections on my living room TV and still follow the advice I gave above.

· Registered
430 Posts
CCCP: Some people can't afford to buy another replay or don't need to. Just because you have multiple replays doesn't mean that simply splitting the signal isn't the best option for others.

That being said, I used to have one showstopper and either something live via a splitter or used a VCR in some cases. Having two Replays is MUCH better, and the multi-unit discount makes the deal sweeter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.