AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this set up (yes I am behind the times, sorry). I cannot *believe* that any sane company would make a D-VHS recorder that is not programmable to record from the I-Link automatically. This makes it essentially worthless to me.

As I see it I have three options:

1) Return the unit, which I am heavily heavily favoring. In that case, which D-VHS deck DOES allow programmable recording of the 1394 port?

2) Some kind of programmable remote to send the "record" signal at a given time (recommendations?)

3) Control it via I-Link to another device. I have a PC with 1394 ports available in the setup, but I don't usually leave it on. What software would allow for this, if it's even possible?

I am still just astounded that anybody would make a unit like this. The obvious positive feature to a D-VHS deck is that it is capable of recording HDTV. And you CANT PROGRAM IT!!?!?! It's just insane.

-frobme

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don't know this for sure but I believe that 1394 devices in their current incarnations do not control recordings. I have a Mits. RPTV with a 1394 output and use the RCA PVR to record HDTV and my Mits TV is the device that handles the timing of the recording.

I assume you are using a HTPC to record 1394. If that is the case there was some software being beta tested awhile back (haven't kept track of it) and it might be able to handle the timer based recording for you.

Sorry I cannot confirm any of this but this is my understanding and perhaps I am not correct.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use Sony RM-AV3100 remote (~ $100) to automate weekly recording with DVHS and T165. You can set up to 12 timers with RM-AV3100.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Halveb,

Unfortunately I can't use my HTPC to record, because I live in San Diego, and Time Warner has even the OTA broadcasts marked as "Copy freely" but "Encrypted" so you need a 5C capable device to decode them. I don't believe anybody has that working, if they do somebody let me know =). I did get this working far enough that I could record a stream on the PC, but then couldn't play it back on the PC (I would have to send it to the JVC, as that's a DTCP capable device).

I guess other people are using remotes to do this (nod to taichinanda). I'm just dumbfounded if there isn't a DVHS VCR capable of doing this. Nobody at the factory thought it would be important to record from a digital source on a timer? /BOGGLE

-frobme

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frobme

I am still just astounded that anybody would make a unit like this. The obvious positive feature to a D-VHS deck is that it is capable of recording HDTV. And you CANT PROGRAM IT!!?!?! It's just insane.

-frobme

Actually it is the I.Link spec that requires the source (the receiver) control the sink (the recorder). So, if you want to blame a manufacturer you might start with the people who made a source that didn't match the spec. There are a number of advantages to the source controlling the system, including the ability to control multiple recordings. So, no it isn't insane - just not understood by all.

That said, there are cable boxes that implement the spec properly and their is an LG box that has a built-in HDD that the user can later archive programs to the DVHS device. Some of the more unusual setups, such as the AVX-1, use the rad shack programmer device to fake-out the DVHS deck since the AVX-1 does not have timer function either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Actually it is the I.Link spec that requires the source (the receiver) control the sink (the recorder). So, if you want to blame a manufacturer you might start with the people who made a source that didn't match the spec. There are a number of advantages to the source controlling the system, including the ability to control multiple recordings. So, no it isn't insane - just not understood by all.
That would be fine, if I had any control at all over the source! Unfortunately the reality for most consumers is their input path is controlled by some access provider who has arbitrarily selected their source (in my case, the SA3250HD). Hopefully it all goes away with the magic of cable cards? sigh.

If no other DVHS units allow this, I guess I'm left with the option of finding some other way to control the VCR. The timer capable programmable remote seems the best path, as it's less complicated in the end. If I have to install another beta piece of software on my HTPC I think it will just explode. heh.

-frobme

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
There have been at least 8 D-VHS models I can recall and none of them have internal timer recording to select firewire. It is supposed to work the other way around since the STB has to tune to a channel to be recorded then initiate recording. Since you can have several devices connected to your VCR via firewire, this is the only way that makes any sense. I use 169time/AVX-1/RCA DTC-100 and have the STB turn on the 40K and start recording. I only have to remember to have the VCR set to the correct firewire port. It has worked very reliably.

Chris

·
Registered
619 Posts
Any cheap DISH network receiver can also turn on and off the JVC VCR.

Actually, the old Panasonic DVHS is the only one with timer-firewire ability.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use a radio shack remote that you aim at the vcr. You can program it down to to the minute as far as start time, it turns the vcr on to record and off when everything is done. Unfortunately you can only record one show.

The unit costs $15-20.

Ajay

·
Registered
26 Posts
yes which d-vhs i used to recoring from my hughes e-86 hi del unit and get the same hdtv video and 5.1 sound on a hdtv d-vhs tape i have a mitsubishi vs-50805 it 5yr old can any of the d-vhs will do thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Paul, I saw that later browsing myself. My 3250 does not seem to be running the more common software, but it does have a "Timer" setting for a VCR, so I assume it supports something like the VCR Commander option. I'm going to hit the Ratty Shack on the way home today and see if I can find the cable.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I use the Radio Shack remote. It works 9 out of 10 times.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hildred
yes which d-vhs i used to recoring from my hughes e-86 hi del unit and get the same hdtv video and 5.1 sound on a hdtv d-vhs tape i have a mitsubishi vs-50805 it 5yr old can any of the d-vhs will do thank you
Is this a question? None of the D-VHS units can timer record via the 1394 inputs.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
For TWC-SD, VCR COMMANDER is not supported in SA-3250HD PASSPORT software. The SA8000HD (HD-PVR) doesn't do it either. You have to use an external timer, which means punching a bunch of buttons for each start/stop event.

I've used the Sony RM-VL1000 (check www.pricegrabber.com ) for several years now. It supports 12 devices, 12 timer events, user programmable menus and, above all, IS LIGHTWEIGHT. I've found that for complex systems, the LEARNING capability is essential. I invested the time so that I can now control ALL of my system features, can dim the lights and in the near future will control the DVI/Component Video input switching matrix.

I would prefer a R/C that switches between devices with a single button, vice two buttons on the Sony. I used the selector at remotecentral.com but was underwhelmed with the choices. All were o$100-$200 and only one of the more expensive ones met my LIGHTWEIGHT test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.