AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/4932111683.html

Looking to simply stream 3d blu rays on Apple TV. How can folks sell these online and how can the not be shaken down?

What the penalty for buying?

Yes it's illegal. They make it bad for those of us who just want true, bit-for-bit HD digital movies both video and audio. I have about 16TB of MKVs on my 2 NASs, but I still own every single disc that I have ripped myself. I wouldn't buy from them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it's illegal. They make it bad for those of us who just want true, bit-for-bit HD digital movies both video and audio. I have about 16TB of MKVs on my 2 NASs, but I still own every single disc that I have ripped myself. I wouldn't buy from them.
Many used blu rays have the digital copy already used. Best suggestion?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Many used blu rays have the digital copy already used. Best suggestion?

The digital HD copy is not HD, it's severely compressed. A typical HD digital copy is about 5-7GB, a ripped bit-for-bit copy is 25GB-30GB. You need to use a program like MakeMKV or PavTube Bytecopy to get a real HD copy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the difference in quality at its best on an external hard drive compared to a blu ray? Are these often listed for sale on craigslist or ebay? Anyone bought before?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Depends - if they're true Blu-Ray rips at 40 gigs a pop (on average) then a 2TB drive he sells only has space for about 50 movies. Since he's claiming hundreds, that means he's using re-encoded ones down to fit on a DVD 9 or something. Squashing 40 GB to 9 GB incurs a quality loss (if it didn't, then no one would bother with Blu-Ray if they could fit a high def movie on DVD).

Oh, pirated material is often advertised on those sites. You're an idiot to pay since you can bet he just downloaded them the same way you could do it - for free. Plus I wouldn't use any form of identifiable method to contact him - email, phone or otherwise since if he gets busted (and selling pirated goods generally qualifies) he may roll over and hand over his customer list as a plea bargain. Commercial distribution of pirated goods is heavily frowned upon, even by those who file share.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts