AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at purchasing the KRP-500 in spite of my wife's objections. After 35 years sex is way over rated anyhow.

So don't everyone get their panties in a bunch. This is a serious question.

So how can Abe's of Maine and Beach Camera which are both listed as authorized dealers be almost $500 lower than our sponsers.

Do they ship by Fed Ex or UPS. Crappy customer service? Price is almost too good to pass in this economy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The KRP's don't have a tuner, stand, or speakers. I prefer it that way because I have my own tuner, purchased a stand for cheap from a bay and have my own reference speaker system for my own customized standard of excellence.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand about teh tuner etc, I'm questioning how they can sell it for 500 less including shipping.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am hoping that a forum sponsor will come close in price to one of the better known companies that is selling the 500m (think V...s Morrison)

I would dearly love to support a sponsor but the difference is huge. I have offered to compromise on any additional stuff on offer from the first guy (I don't need a stand) and I hope the Forum Sponsor can match it.

I appreciate good service (I have dealt with the former company before and been pleased but also read good things about the Forum Sponsor) so it will come down to price on this one.

I looked at the two you mentioned and have read good and bad on them. I will go with what I know or what the Forum recommends; those are my two choices.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
Is this a subtle way of trying to browbeat the forum sponsors to lower their prices?

I thought we weren't supposed to discuss where to buy these things. Because otherwise I would talk about finding a deal all day. I want a 500M too!

I don't think those vendors you listed have the same kind of reputation as some of the forum sponsors here. Some people are willing to pay a few hundred more to do business with someone who will take care of them and give attention to detail. Not everyone is so tight for money that they want to risk incurring a large hassle if something doesn't go well just to save a few hundred at one of those photo places. Isn't it nice that you have options? You can roll the dice with one of those vendors you mentioned, or you can approach a forum sponsor and make sure your needs will be taken care of for a bit more.

You usually get what you pay for.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrat2 /forum/post/16963559

I understand about teh tuner etc, I'm questioning how they can sell it for 500 less including shipping.

I bought my 500 for a bit less than that but I wouldn't purchase unless you are sure about those companies. It's odd but I've noticed Pioneer prices slowly increasing as of late. I wonder why.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrat2 /forum/post/16963372

So how can Abe's of Maine and Beach Camera which are both listed as authorized dealers be almost $500 lower than our sponsers.:confused

Where does it say that they are authorized dealers cause i couldn't them on the pioneers list of authorized dealers.

Also, this threat will probably get shut down because you're not supposed to talk about price / dealers in general.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hi,

Another reason why the prices are so low is that US prices are slashed at the expense of European & other markets which are then loaded to more than make up the difference - the KRP-500M sells for pretty much double if not more in Europe than it does in the US.

Bazzy!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
place this link in your browser and notice thge list of autorized dealers.

Documaker : It is a valid question and not should not be threatening to anyone. For me $500 is a significant amount and I guess I am in the minority here as a lot of frequent forum members buy TV's at will just to game on. Unfortunately I represent the majority of flat screen purchasers looking for the best deal, as is moggi1964US Which is why so many buy LCD's instead of plasmas and why manufactures market to the masses.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/po...002567a8c0RCRD

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/16964735

I guess you guys haven't figured it out yet. Kuro Elites never used to be reasonably priced, but they are now. Why?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169325

Note: DocuMaker you continue to disappoint. Is something preventing you from going to Magnolia?

I'm not sure what you mean by this? I have been to two different Magnolias and I've seen two different Z1s. Nice TV, but I could purchase both a 500M and a 600M for the same price as a Z1.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrat2 /forum/post/16965467

place this link in your browser and notice thge list of autorized dealers.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/po...002567a8c0RCRD

So I have my doubts. Here is my reasoning. I think Abes of Maine and Beach Camera are authorized to sell some Pioneer Products, but not necessarily their Plasmas. The reason I have my doubts is if you go to the link above, don't just search for a Pioneer authorized dealer, but search for the specific product (So I chose "Plasma Display", and "KRP-500M"). So when I searched for a dealer authorized to sell the KRP-500M in the NYC Area (where Beach Camera and Abes of Maine are located) their names did not appear. Here is the full List of authorized deals in the NYC area. I hope it works, otherwise you can just search.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrat2 /forum/post/16963372

I've been looking at purchasing the KRP-500 in spite of my wife's objections. After 35 years sex is way over rated anyhow.

So how can Abe's of Maine and Beach Camera which are both listed as authorized dealers be almost $500 lower than our sponsers.

Do they ship by Fed Ex or UPS. Crappy customer service? Price is almost too good to pass in this economy.

The less expensive vendors pay less for their TVs and/or they don't make as much profit.

·
Registered
429 Posts
One potential answer OP is that Electrograph, a Pioneer distributor who had warehouses on both coast's, went out of business because they could no longer secure a credit line. They were forced to liquidate their inventory, so it is possible that some of these larger E-tailers were able to purchase a batch on the cheap.

Anyhow the sponsors prices are easily beat, my local Elite dealer charged me less then ANY online retailer at the time, with free delivery. The other's are maintaining a price floor to increase profit, it's business, and in business your job is to analyze the market and price to maximize profit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Abe's has a very good reputation and so does Beach Camera. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either of them. Abe's in particular is a no-brainer and they always have excellent prices on their products. I was actually going to get my KRP-500M from them, but I decided to go with an Ebay Powerseller who had five of them up for auction the other day for $1700 shipped with the stand included for free. I couldn't pass on that deal and the SquareTrade 3-year warranty is only $119! This is my birthday gift to myself.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
"Abe's has a very good reputation"??

That's rich. They're legendarily bad.

But still, even with that said, more often than not you'll come through your purchase with them just fine. I personally wouldn't chance it on such a big purchase though. Many others advise the same.

Vann's and Beach Camera, no problem. They're good, particularly the first, but both superior to Abes of Maine Jersey.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you're in the northeast, check out eastcoasttvs.com

Thats where I got mine... lowest price I've seen and free shipping to.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrat2 /forum/post/17002497

I bought the KRP-500 and stand from Vann's this morning. Be here next week

Thats were I got mine from. Ordered last Friday, and it arrived on Thursday via Yellow Freight. Curbside service, but the driver helped me carry it in and waited while I inspected the screen. Then refused a tip. Very happy with experience.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts