AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my Pioneer 610 ISF calibrated in the near future. One tech said that most of the 610's he recently calibrated needed mechanical focus done. Another tech said he has calibrated well over 30 610's and not one needed mechanical focus done. What is mechanical focus?

Thanx

------------------

Warren

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
A simple way is to check out the sharpness (or lack thereof) of your onscreen graphics. After my ISF calibrationist did the mechanical focusing on my Toshiba TW56X81 I was amazed at how sharper the onscreen graphics looked!

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
809 Posts
First I separate the colors to look one color at a time, red, blue and green. I perform an electronic focus of each gun. I put up a grid pattern and and place the projector in the Zoom mode with a 480i or p signal. I observe the vertical lines. They should appear as made up of a series of horizontal dashes making up each vertical line of the grid pattern I have generated. If they appear solid, not dashes (the dash represent the individual scan lines that make up the picture)on the right , middle and left side verticals of the grid, then mechanical focusing is needed for that particular lens or lenses.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Warren.

Mechanical Focus is a method to get the glass/plastic elements inside of each of the three (RGB) lens assemblys to correctly align. It is like using a camera or binoculars where you are twisting the lens assembly to gain the proper focus.

It is the same for a RPTV or a FPTV. You have to undo wing nuts on each lens and twist the front half of the lens assembly until the proper focus is acheived. It is done for each color...one at a time...with the other two shut off or having the lens covered.

Lee

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx or the feedback. I was wondering do the lenses go out of focus over time or by traveling or does leave the factory this way?

------------------

Warren

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.