AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how you determine if the online retailer (there are so many now) you are ordering from is an authorized dealer?

cheers

·
Registered
221 Posts
It is hard because it would be easy for any unscrupulous company to claim that they are. You might try going to the manufacturer and see if they have information on that, they sometimes do. Sometimes they even list authorized internet dealers.

Another way you *might* be able to check is to see if they offer a 30 day money back option. Many manufacturers do require that etailers & retailers (authorized ones) honor returns within 30 days. After that warranty kicks in. It's not always the case and it may not be the case with Plasmas & LCDs (and Canada might different than the states) but that could be a clue

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1
I was just wondering how you determine if the online retailer (there are so many now) you are ordering from is an authorized dealer?

cheers
Always check with the manufacturer to see if a particular dealer is really authorized or just lying to trick people into buying from them.

Not all the manufacturers require a dealer to be authorized (like Panasonic) but unscrupulous retailers will say they're an "Authorized Panasonic Dealer" even though Panasonic doesn't have authorized dealers (everybody is "authorized").

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Not all the manufacturers require a dealer to be authorized (like Panasonic) but unscrupulous retailers will say they're an "Authorized Panasonic Dealer" even though Panasonic doesn't have authorized dealers (everybody is "authorized").
I understand your point, and agree with it for the most part, but I'm not sure I'm willing to paint dealers that do this as "unscrupulous."

Some customers look for "Authorized Dealer" when shopping online (and justifiably so). Online dealers don't want to lose a sale just because an uninformed customer isn't aware that Panasonic treats all sales as authorized. It's easy to see how they rationalize putting an Authorized Dealer indication on their pages - the customer is not really harmed in any way, because they don't lose any warranty or other rights by buying from that dealer.

Explaining Panasonic's policy would seem to be a better way to achieve the same effect, but online dealers may fear (and not unjustifiably) that customers will be skeptical of such an explanation and fear that the dealer is covering up being unauthorized.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananfish
I understand your point, and agree with it for the most part, but I'm not sure I'm willing to paint dealers that do this as "unscrupulous."

Some customers look for "Authorized Dealer" when shopping online (and justifiably so). Online dealers don't want to lose a sale just because an uninformed customer isn't aware that Panasonic treats all sales as authorized. It's easy to see how they rationalize putting an Authorized Dealer indication on their pages - the customer is not really harmed in any way, because they don't lose any warranty or other rights by buying from that dealer.

Explaining Panasonic's policy would seem to be a better way to achieve the same effect, but online dealers may fear (and not unjustifiably) that customers will be skeptical of such an explanation and fear that the dealer is covering up being unauthorized.
I agree and disagree with your point. I understand what you are saying about customers and impressions. However, for anyone to say that they are an "authorized dealer" when no such thing exists is being unethical at the very least. If they are willing to say something that is simply not true then it raises questions about the company in general.

·
Registered
22 Posts
just be careful!!! many of the so called "best deal" sites who say they are authorized dealers are frauds. especially in new york. do your home work!!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
AFAIK, it really doesn't make much difference if a dealer is "authorized" or not, except for a few makes - Fujitsu, Pioneer, and maybe LG/Zenith in particular, who will welsh on their factory warranty if you buy from an "unauthorized" dealer, which usually includes most online vendors.

IMO a good reason to avoid these brands. If you're still worried, you can probably avoid any problems by verifying from the dealer that the TV comes with a full factory warranty.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Many good buys can be made right here from Forum advertisers at the top of the page . To my knowledge they are very reputable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
hi:

Check out DTVCITY.COM. I have not purchased there (yet) but according to the website they have a 30 day exchange policy with no restocking fees and no cost shipping return. Regards...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.