AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what the code is for distance from a copper gas line to an insulated can? I'm in Minneapolis. I'm thinking an inch would be enough, but I dont know if there are building codes that would tell me exactly or not.

Thanks,

Tort

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm not sure, all cities will vary slightly with their code. Your safest bet is to call your city building inspector for the answer. They will generally answer without giving much grief.

Good luck

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, that's a tough one to answer on a national level - you'd be best to check with the local inspectors or your local gas company. Here, copper gas line isn't even allowed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't heard of copper being used for a gas line. In our area Black Iron Pipe is required inside any appliance using gas. You may use flex if your locality will allow it. Are you positive it is gas?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Maryland allows the use of a special copper pipe for use with 2 psi gas. The copper pipe is painted yellow to identify that it is for gas. Installers like to use it because it is flexible (compared to the traditional black iron pipe), resulting in reduced installation times.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.