AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for being ignorant on this.

I am about to buy floor standers, but I want to place them very close to the wall 3-5" max from the wall.

Will that work? Will that cause speakers to sound bad? Should I go for front venting or back venting? I was reading the review of IQ5 KEF, and that being front venting, also had the recommendation of placing it 2-3 feet from the walls.

Does that mean that I should not buy floor standers because I cannot place them very close to the walls?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2go /forum/post/16958678

I am about to buy floor standers, but I want to place them very close to the wall 3-5" max from the wall.

Will that work? Will that cause speakers to sound bad? Should I go for front venting or back venting? I was reading the review of IQ5 KEF, and that being front venting, also had the recommendation of placing it 2-3 feet from the walls.

Does that mean that I should not buy floor standers because I cannot place them very close to the walls?

Well, the short answer is.... it depends.

The biggest thing you want to stay away from are placing a speaker in or fairly near a room corner. The problem you run into with any speaker near a wall is the first reflections off of the front baffle. Picture in your mind that the sound waves being produced by your speaker are a curved arc with the rounded part of that arc coming toward your listening position. They get larger and farther apart the farther away they get from the speaker. There is a point where one side of that arc (or sound wave) will hit the side wall and bounce off of that wall creating a reflection. That reflected sound wave will then arrive at the listening position behind the original sound wave. Put a speaker in or very near a corner and you double your trouble if you will.

The port of a bass reflex speaker goes more to the tuning of the speaker and how deep it extends. Depending on the speaker, as long as the area around the port is around a foot, you shouldn't really interfere all that much with the tuning. 3"-5" is normally a little close for the port to work properly. What will happen then is much like what happens above. You'll still have the extension, but the deeper FR of the speaker will more than likely be a little "muddy" due to the sound waves bouncing off the wall so close. It may also give you an un-natural boost to those muddy bass frequencies as well. But, lower frequency waves are much longer than mids or certainly high frequency up into the treble range so you could probably "get by" being that close with a rear ported speaker. But, the farther away from the wall you get will help tighten up the bass. Front ported speakers in your particular situation would help a lot IMHO.

Floor standers and bookshelf speakers both play by the same rules. So in this particular instance, you will have the exact same problems with BOTH. Size really doesn't matter here.

If you absolutely must be quite close to the side wall, the one thing you can do which will help immensely is to heavily treat the first reflection points. That will absorb those first reflections and elininate any time delayed sound waves reaching your listening position. Do a search on this forum on room treatments. There are hundreds of great threads with all kinds of information about room treatments along with economical DIY examples for those handy with tools.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply. So looks like front ported speaker would be best for me. The closest side wall will still be about 1-2 feet from the speaker. That should be ok, right?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2go /forum/post/16958843

Thanks for the detailed reply. So looks like front ported speaker would be best for me. The closest side wall will still be about 1-2 feet from the speaker. That should be ok, right?

That won't be too bad but you'll still have a first reflection point which you should treat. You can get someone to help you with a mirror to find your first reflection points or this link http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm will give you a mathmatical way to figure them out. Either way, they should be treated.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2go /forum/post/16958678

Allisons are designed to be used against a wall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like rear ported speakers are out of question for me. That rules out Energy RC30.

So my now my options are

KEF iq5/iq7

Energy CF 70

Any others? Any closed speaker recommendation for less than $400 a pair?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.