Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating . . .

I'm remodeling my MBR to join an adjacent BR to become a sitting area. In that area, I want to install a wallmounted flat-panel screen.

I'm very tempted by the Costco Vizio 50" special. But, I'm concerned that it might be too big (I can't believe I'm saying that!). The alternative would be a 42" or even the Sceptre 37" LCD that Costco is featuring. I don't know the exact seating distance (eyes to screen), but it will be something on the order of 6-8ft.

Is there a rule of thumb for determining the appropriate screen size for a particular distance?

BTW, I have a 106" front projection system in my HT for movies, etc. This will be for mostly late night viewing and occasional escapes to watch football, bball, golf, etc. when the projector is occupied.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njmurvin
Is there a rule of thumb for determining the appropriate screen size for a particular distance?
Yes, but who cares? How do you know that the recommended distance will be the right distance for you? Go to a store. Look at whatever size you're interested in. Determine what is the right distance or range for you. That's all that matters. The rest is do-do, IMHO.

·
Vendor
31,459 Posts
6-8 Ft may be a little to close to most. Viewing my 50" from the farthest position is 12Ft and is a little more pleasant that the 6Ft on the closer couch but I sure would not want a 42"!

·
Registered
597 Posts
before i bought my 50 i would have said 10-12 feet, the first day i got it i would have said 14-16 feet, but now after about 2 weeks i say 2 feet. Everybody is probably different, but i think 8 feet would be good, im at about 10 and it looks too small to me now

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
As close as you can get without seeing the pixels/screendoor I say. I like to sit about 4-6' from a 65" sceen ideally.

·
Registered
767 Posts
You can glue yourself to it if you want, it's YOUR display.... I have a 42" and have 2 distances, 1. When working at my PC i'm at 2 feet and 8 feet when i'm sitting on the couch. I have no problem with both distances.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Njmurvin, well there ya' go. All different opinions. That's what I was saying. The only "correct" distance is the distance that works for you.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I cannot agree more with Jerry G (and have probably posted the same sentiment 100 times here at AVS). Your eyes. Your room. Your TV. Your brain. Only you can determine the answer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, guys. Thanks (I think) . . .

Bigger is better. I knew that. Why did I have to ask?

Looks like I'll be stopping by Costco this week to pick up my Vizio.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdothat88
before i bought my 50 i would have said 10-12 feet, the first day i got it i would have said 14-16 feet, but now after about 2 weeks i say 2 feet. Everybody is probably different, but i think 8 feet would be good, im at about 10 and it looks too small to me now
I agree, I have my 50 about 10 feet away and continue to wish I got the 55". In fact, last night, I stood 2 feet away and admired what a great picture it was.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I agree with the comments that the longer you own the plasma you will feel you can view it closer or want an even larger size!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.