Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've not seen a PLV-60 manual yet, but apparently it states that the pj must have 3 feet of air space behind it; this must be an error. This info is from Jeff McNeal's review at TBP.

Could some PLV-60 owners out there let me know how near they have their pj to a back wall or other structure.

To install one into my HT requires fitting near as possible to a wall to get the image size I want.

Thanks in advance.

Miro

·
Registered
46 Posts
If possible, stick to the manual and have the 3 feet. It needs airflow in order to work at it's best.

I have about 10 inches between my PLV-60 and a bulkhead in the ceiling (not even a full wall). This seems to cause the fan to kick up a notch since it's not getting adequate cooling. it does work, and so far no problems except the fan noise, but if you can avoid it you should.

hope this helps.

-Dan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dan.

If I install, with such a reduction in throw, it would be like watching a 56in TV.

As a result I'm going for the Sony 11HT. Short throw, big image and no intakes at the back.

Miro.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have it at about 2.5 inches from the wall and watching the warning lamps. I asked about this with the co. who sold me the projector and said it shouldn't be a problem. So far, it looks good.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
The air intake vents are on the bottom and the exhaust is out the back. you definitely need 6-10" or the exhaust will circulate off the wall and back into the intake vents. This will heat it up very quickly. However, I personally believe that 3' is an exaggeration.

MTI

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've got my 13HD (PLV-60) mounted about 1' from the back wall. It gets warm, but not excessively so, and has been fine so far.

I'm also in the same situation where I have a small room and needed to mount it as close to the wall as possible to get enough image size.

-Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this has put a different perspective on things. I have calculated throw and screen size for approx 150mm/6in from the wall as a maximum vent distance. Now that the exhaust is not too compromised and my viewing won't be into long hours, I will still consider the PLV-60.

If anyone has further thoughts if just 6in is enough (but not in the way your thinking! ;) please continue the thread.

Thank you all for replying.

Miro.

·
Registered
235 Posts
One thing you might consider doing is putting a 90 degree vent on the back of the projector so that the exhaust is directed down instead of straight back to the wall.

-Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 90 degree vent is a good idea. You could also point it up if you have the room. This would get the flow away from the intakes on the bottom and keep the hot air at the top of the room.

MTI

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas posted here. I will leave my projector at 2.5" and install a makeshift vent that will direct the hot air upwards and not have it recirculated to the intake vents on the bottom of the projector.

You learn something new everyday just from reading this forum...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't forget that if you're using a bonafide ceiling mount (not a shelf), the intake vents will be on the top (since the pj is upside down). You'll probably want to redirect the exhaust downward or to the side.

As an aside, I have a PLV-60HT mounted about 4' from the rear wall on a Chief ceiling mount and a 6" nipple and flange (from Home Despot), so it's about 8" from the ceiling. I also have an A/C return about 2 feet to the side of the projector and an A/C vent 1' in front of it. With all that, I still hear the projector fan kick into high mode every now and then.

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.