AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got about an inch and a half, to 2 inches, between the panamorph lens and my HD1. When a bright image is up a LOT of light is reflected back from the lens to the front of the PJ.

Is this degrading my picture some? I know that the projected image is coming into the lens a lot wider than it should if it was up closer, and this leads to more distortion than necessary. It is very bearable though, the distortion, and not at all noticeable except for when putting up a grid.

The image does appear to be a lot more washed out when there is a lot of brightness in the picture. That is because the lens is too far, probably, right?

Im guessing that if the lens was a lot closer the projected image that hits the lens is much smaller and so the reflected light back is also much smaller in size. If this doesnt have anything to do with it, then I definitely need a firehawk screen for my new media room.

Any input would be appreciated. 8) Im gearing up to bring the lens much closer to the PJ. I had my carpenter working on the initial setup and he had the lens right on the PJ and I was afraid of scratching so I had him back it up some.

Now its too far, but those guys werent too "gentle" with my gear and I didnt really want my PJ and lens getting scratched up. 8)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The lens should be as close to the regular lens as possible. Mine is mounted at about 1/8 "from the projector face, now my actual projector lens is recessed on the H77 so this is as close as I can get it. and it works fine, no loss of light that is visible and great picture quality.

I am surprised you let "those guys" touch the equipment, I certainly never would.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I agree with McCall, it needs to be as close to the primary without touching. Are you using a sled to move the lens for 16:9?

Mark

·
Banned
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/0

I agree with McCall, it needs to be as close to the primary without touching. Are you using a sled to move the lens for 16:9?

Mark

Mark I spoke with Catdaddy this morning and the answer to your question is no, he has no plans on making a sled, the lens will be fixed in place and he plans to manipulate the image through a scaler, I also mentioned to him that using a 16:9 grid pattern such as the one supplied with the HD1 projector probably isnt the way to setup an anamorphic lens, I believe a scope grid pattern such as the one you have with the circles is the way to go to setup geometry and focus, maybe you could provide him a link where he can download it and then place it on a thumbdrive and then access it through something like the ps3.... if it sounds like something that we have been using in my 2:35 setup .....well
, anyway Catdaddy, take your time with this, its a process for sure, you want to make sure you have a good grid where you can adjust for the best focus and geometry, youre in a whole new ballgame now

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Funlvr,

That pattern actually came from the French guys and it is attached at the bottom of my CIH Explained link in my signature. You should be able to click the image and save the image.

The lens he is using is fixed, so a grid pattern wouldn't really help him in the way that it does with your ISCO III. But the pattern with the ovals is useful for testing symmetrical stretch and alignment of the lens...

Mark

·
Banned
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/0

Funlvr,

The lens he is using is fixed, so a grid pattern wouldn't really help him in the way that it does with your ISCO III.

Mark

such a shame

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
I am surprised you let "those guys" touch the equipment, I certainly never would.

I was desparate to get a look at a 2.35 image through the panamorph. 8( It was at a weak moment. 8( I was sure to have the lens cap on on the projector, I do have some fingerprints I need to "lift" off of my panamorph lens, though.

Like funlvr says I do not intend to use a slide. The lens is firmly in place and will use my AVM50 to scale image down to size, if need be.

I do need to bring the panamorph lens much closer to the PJ for sure. Does the reflected light, back from the panamorph lens onto the PJ lens, hurt my picture quality on the screen on brighter scenes?

·
Banned
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddy67 /forum/post/0

Does the reflected light, back from the panamorph lens onto the PJ lens, hurt my picture quality on the screen on brighter scenes?

Mike I guess at the moment youre the only one that can answer that question and you may get your answer once you move the two lenses closer together, and if that doesnt work im wondering if something else isnt going on, Im not hearing any other concerns related to yours, Maybe Shawn has some answers for you

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I don't have any reflected light. Also and please don't take this the wrong way but you do have it mounted the right way around don't you? Some people have in fact mounted them backwards.

Someone I remember had it mounted backwards for like two years or something.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall /forum/post/0

Someone I remember had it mounted backwards for like two years or something.

I don't think that was this lens, but the smaller UH50 where they didn't realize that the angled part was indeed the front...

Mark

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, ive got it mounted correctly (thanks to a lot of pictures of setups probably.) I think. 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.