AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do DVD-Audios that have a 24/96 DTS mix (i.e. - The Game, Night at the Opera, Halloween) get downconverted by DVD players to 16/48? I have the Denon DVD-2200 and it automatically downconverts to 16/48 for any digital source unless there is no copy protection. Why release something in 24/96 when there is copy protection then if no one (or very few) can play it? It makes no sense when everyone's receiver can play 24/96 but the DVD players don't unless no copy protection. I've heard that the DAD discs do not have copy protection and can be played at full 24/96 resolution, but there are few of these discs and they are not really being made anymore.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Thats odd, I have never noticed that on my system with that disc. Just incase, I will test it today.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I am outputting 24/96 on my system. Question, are you decoding from the DVD players Decoder, or are you using the receiver to decode DTS 24/96? Also check if the DTS 24/96 is supported by the decoder.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
can we get a clarification here?

1) are you using digital coax/optical out, or analog 5.1? i am assuming the digital, since you mention bitrates.

2) can anyone else please confirm if this is happening on other players?

this would be fraud/racketeering if it is happening. the discs would advertise a bitrate that could not be played. i find it hard to believe.

·
Premium Member
12,062 Posts
It will pass in true 96/24 via digital out. You are trying to output via analog and since none of the Denon players have a DTS 96/24 decoder in them (except maybe the 5910 I think), you are getting down-rez'd. DTS 96/24 is nothing special in terms of bits out via toslink, you just have to have a receiver or processor that can decode the extra information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.