AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at there specs and reviews why don't these subs get the love that three letter subs do? It seems to me that Adire Rava at $399 should always be mentioned in great values. 12" Shiva driver, 250 watt Adire amp, tuned to 25hz, acoustic suspension design, built-in eq, and real wood veneer.

What am I missing that holds Adire back from getting the run the others do? Is it how poorly done(IMO) their website is?

BTW- I do not own an Adire, Hsu, or SVS. I haven't heard an Adire.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I dont know, they get good reviews, and on paper they seem to have more value than SVS and HSU.

Their website always makes me wonder though. I have been waiting on news about the Daeva, their 15 inch 425W model. Rumour was they had planned to sell it for some incredible price, like 500 bucks or something.

But they have a blank link to it on their website, and have had it there for months.

There is even an Adire guy who frequents this forum... we told him about the website issues a while back.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I glad I'm not the only that has an issue with their website. A poor website seems inexcusable for a consumer direct company. Maybe SVS having the most user friendly(IMO) site is part of their success. I find Hsu's site hard to find info on but it doesn't seem to affect their sales.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I dunno, I think the Ravas get plenty of run on this board, and yes I do own one. Because of its sealed design, it's pretty unique in this price class. In general, I like the tonal characteristics of sealed subs, which is why I went with the Rava. But, that sealed design also keeps it from posting the gaudy SPL stats that competing products have. There's a perception that the Rava's more of a "musical" sub, and not really suited to home theater use. But, I can vouch that it's got more than enough low end grunt and punch for home theatre soundtracks, and it has a fuller and tighter sounding bass than most other subs I've heard in this price range. After equalizing it to compensate for my room acoustics, my Rava measures within 3 db all the way down to 25 Hz, and because of its sealed design, the rolloff after that point is more gradual than you would typically get with a ported sub.

The Adire website hasn't been updated much as of late, and it's not the best designed site I've seen, but it gets the job done if you want to order something. (Acoustic Visions is one of Adire's dealers and their website is easier to navigate if you want an alternate site) Seems like they've been busy revamping their home audio speaker line and designing the new Parthenon driver.

The $600 15" sealed box Daeva was available for a short time last year, but I read that the 300 watt Class D amp used in that model got discontinued and Adire's waiting for the 400 watt replacement model to arrive before they reintroduce the Daeva. If you want a sealed model with the Tempest driver, you should try calling them and see if they can build you a comparable model using a different plate amp.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
In Adire's defense (and I've never purchased anything from them, though I figure I will sooner or later :) ), I believe the company is targeting the OEM community more aggressively than the DIY and internet-direct retail sales communities. It seems that their passion is to become big time driver competitors with ScanSpeak, Seas, Vifa, Morel, etc. Some of their new technology developments are first seen in drivers produced by/for other companies, and are not offered through Adire directly. This will apparently be the case for the first generation of midbass, midrange, and treble drivers implementing XBL^2 technology.

That they offer drivers directly to the DIY community is awesome, and may have been how they got a start (I really have no idea), but it probably isn't their biggest potential for income. Same for their completed subs offered direct retail. So it doesn't surprise me that their website looks more like an industrial parts supply company than a storefront for an internet retail company.

At least, that is my take on the situation. I'm just glad that a company like Adire is around, with great guys at the helm offering free advice and knowledge on forums, and some fine products are reasonable prices to the DIY crowd. If I'm mistaken on any of my above conjecture, someone feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Woochifer

The Adire website hasn't been updated much as of late, and it's not the best designed site I've seen, but it gets the job done if you want to order something. (Acoustic Visions is one of Adire's dealers and their website is easier to navigate if you want an alternate site) Seems like they've been busy revamping their home audio speaker line and designing the new Parthenon driver.

Yes, it gets the job done if you know what you want but it isn't really being utilized as a sales tool very well. Look at the legions of Hsu and SVS owners. Adire has a product that competes very well with those but they don't seem that interested in pursuing those sale$. It wouldn't take a very big slice of the Hsu/SVS market to pay to redo the site.

Bigus - I agree it is very techno targeted. I think you're on the right track about their focus. I really get the idea that subs and speakers aren't their real interest but selling drivers and such is.

EDIT-- This is my 500th post !!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tex-amp
Yes, it gets the job done if you know what you want but it isn't really being utilized as a sales tool very well. Look at the legions of Hsu and SVS owners. Adire has a product that competes very well with those but they don't seem that interested in pursuing those sale$. It wouldn't take a very big slice of the Hsu/SVS market to pay to redo the site.
Well, I think you're kinda making some broad assumptions here regarding their sales. I don't think anyone knows how much better one company's subs sell than another. Different forums tend to have a certain element of groupthink to it, and from lurking on this board for a while, I know that the regulars tend to include a lot of SVS and Hsu owners. The Rava gets a lot more mention in the Audioasylum and Audioreview forums. Just a different market and a different group of users. And I'm not even sure if it matters how much better those other models sell (again that's an assumption), if you already know about the Rava and it's best matched to what you are looking for. Just because one product generates more sales and gets more hype does not say a thing about whether it's a better product and if it's a better fit for you. All the mentions about SVS and Hsu certainly didn't sway me in the end when I made my purchase.

The thing about Adire is that they had been in the driver business well before they started selling preassembled subwoofers. The Rava looks and feels more like a DIY project than a mass produced product. Adire seems to operate more as a custom fabricator than an assembly line. Adire builds their subs at their facility and does not maintain a huge inventory of the Ravas. In fact, the Rava is the only subwoofer model that Adire keeps in inventory ready to ship. All of their other models are built-to-order, and with any of their subs, you can respec them with different parts -- like sticking a more powerful amp or a dipolar driver into the Rava cabinet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi all,

Our website is being reworked, but I think there's a few misconceptions about Adire. Our first and foremost client base are other businesses. Either our dealer network (we're not an Internet only company - we have 75+ dealers worldwide) or other companies for whom we do development, production, or both.

Direct sales products (which are available through our dealers) are not only to provide a good competitive product in the market, and obviously drive sales, but also to make other companies aware of who we are and what we can do. Having a competitor successfully sell against you makes you aware of who they are. Then when they approach you and tell you they can make your products just as good or better you'll sit up and take notice.

Anyway, if you have a problem with our website, please note it's being updated a bit now, but there are a lot of other websites (including http://www.acoustic-visions.com ) that are slicker, and carry our full line.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
I suppose I wasn't too far off base then.

FYI Dan, I really admire the way you participate and share knowledge freely in forums, particularly HTF and diyAudio. There are a few other industry persons who do the same... but only a few. I hope you guys continue to do well, and I hope your upcoming XBL^2 drivers are truly outstanding (of course, I have an OEM interest in them... ;) ).

·
Registered
820 Posts
For what it's worth, I think Adire's web site is great. I find it extremely well laid out, simplicity to navigate and easy on the eyes, while still being unique. I wish more companies would follow suit. I have checked out the SVS site, and I find it very nice as well. I will grant you that the SVS site looks a bit more like what most folks have come to expect from a company catering to online purchases, with all the red buttons and headings and inline logos and photos and such. All that doesn't make it easier to use, or the products better, just more fancy.

I don't knock a company based on their website unless it's actually hard to use, lacking in information, has bad links, or down a lot.

Then again, flash does seem to attract people, at least based on the latest aesthetic trends in car and home audio products.

Aaron Gilbert

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the Adire web site is being updated. It is definitely below par (it is very difficult to find desired information at this site).

Since I started putting together an HT system about six months ago, I have probably visited 50+ manufacturer web sites. The Adire web site is the only one out of that list that I was not able to find the information I was looking for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rick,

What information couldn't you find? We have a ton of information up there (that's one of the problems), but consistently most of our web pages are read a good amount each month.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would also like to jump to the defense of Adire on this one. I also visited a lot of websites, and on the Adire site I found every spec I needed. Not to mention, when I contacted Adire with more specific questions, I was extremely satisfied with the information I recieved.

As a result, I will now be an Adire customer.

I have spent many years on the supply side of consumer electronics, and based on what I have experienced, I think that Adire is doing a good job. I cannot wait to put my new Maelstroms to the test and report back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
What information couldn't you find? We have a ton of information up there (that's one of the problems), but consistently most of our web pages are read a good amount each month.
I don't remember the exact info I was looking for. I believe I was trying to find out information on the Dharma (or Sadhara?) sub. I have been in the market for a sub in the $800-$1000 range and have run the gamut (Hsu, SVS, av123, VMPS, Adire, etc.). I've learned a lot but amazingly still don't have a sub (probably would have a Hsu VTF-3 MK2 if it had been available by Christmas).

In any case I remember thinking that the Adire web site was not very easy to navigate (I remember visiting it on at least two occasions).

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
FWIW, I think the site is easy enough to navigate.

There's alot of info on the Adire site, and, unlike the other company mentioned above, it contains plenty of real specifications of their products, which are of very high quality.

It's just me, but I wouldn't pay a dime for a sub from a company that didn't list it's no BS specs.

Beyond that, simply call for further info. Chris and Dan have always been there when I have questions, and are great people who I feel comfortable accepting advice from.

Also, as Dan mentioned, Kyle Richardson (the Acoustic Visions link) who is one of the most respectable people in the subwoofer business, IMO, carries the full Adire line and builds exceptional performance/value into his subs.

I think that his customers don't tend to multi-post the hit, slam, flapping pantleg types of posts. Other than that, I'm a bit baffled myself, and it really is a good question you've asked, Tex. BTW, 500th... :cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
We try to organize our site in two stages:

- Right side menu for major sections (home audio, car audio, DIY audio, tech, etc). This is captioned as the Site Nav menu.

- Left side menu for minor sections (speaker, electronics, cables, etc. inside home audio). This is captioned as the Section Nav menu.

We have a pretty broad range of products and offerings, and try to include a growing reference section as well. So organizationally, we felt two menus was the easiest way to do it.

Preference-wise, I hate drop-down menus. Especially on my laptop. Move just a hair too far, and the whole menu disappears. Give me buttons/fixed links... But that's just a preference issue.

The update is coming soon, and it's mainly a cosmetic update. We'll still maintain the older-style (but IMHO much more functional) non-dynamic menus, but are looking at reducing the number of categories of our products.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

PS: you can find out about the Dharman and Sadhara by clicking on the Home Audio button on the right hand menu, then selecting loudspeakers from the left hand menu. Sadhara and Dharman are then listed in the left hand menu, along with all our other finished loudspeaker offerings.

And at any time you can jump to another section via the right hand menu.

Dan

·
Registered
39 Posts
I must say, I've never had a problem with the Adire site. The detailed papers providing numerous, specific designs (sealed and vented, with varying Qs) for use with their subwoofer drivers was certainly one of the factors that influenced my decision to build a diy Tempest w/ AVA 250 plate amp -- in fact, I've now built two, one for a home theater in a very large large, vaulted room, and other that inhabits a smaller room housing a music-only tube amp system, and the combo works equally well in both.

For non-diyers, the Rava (which I haven't heard) gets consistent raves on "audiophile" forums. Although it probably isn't the last word in subterranean bass that some prefer for ht, I'd bet it is an excellent choice for those with smaller rooms, people who live in attached condos or apartments, or those who want a flexible sub that works well with both music and ht.

Finally, Adire seems to be class act, based both on postings of others and my dealings with them. On both occasions I've purchased from Adire, drivers and amps have arrived within days, securely packed and intact. I've never seen a complaint.

I'm sure there are other fine subs and companies out there, but I'm very pleased.

I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.

Tempest Sub Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
How large a room will the Rava work well in?I'm intrigued.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tiny to huge, depending upon your tastes. Some folks found it not enough in their tiny 11' square room (for one fellow in particular he started with a Rava, and ended with twin vented Tumults with 2600W of power in this sized room); others find it plenty loud in a large 19'x40' room... Personally, it's fine for me in our 13' x 21' demo room.

What do you want out of the sub? That's probably a better way to address the question - start with what you want to accomplish, then find the product that best fits your needs.

Note that often we recommend a full custom solution through one of our dealers. You can end up with a loudspeaker solution custom tailored to your needs, for not much more than a stock solution.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.