AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a possible technical explanation on why, after watching a movie or other video source, is my desktop crystal clear and sharp and it is not that way when I first boot up or after leaving it sit static for a while (projector off / leave my computer up and running).

Trying to understand what might be enhancing it or de-hancing it if you will. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
406 Posts
one thing i noticed is actually the oppostite - for some reason, when running zp 2.9 to watch a movie in full screen mode, the 'cleartype' option which i had turned on gets turned off. for me (watching on a 36" sony), the cleartype greatly helps the clarity on the icons and fonts. maybe you should check to see if changing the setting duplicates the effect. it is accessible through display properties > appearance > effects > 'use the following method..." > cleartype. i think it is only available on windows xp.

k

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Summit3907,

FYI, everything is set correctly there and it doesn't appear to be changing. Thanks for tip though, others may find it usefull.

I am just trying to understand if this a function of the Video Card (9500 Pro), Projector (Zenith Pro 900X FP/CRT), cabeling (VGA) or something else.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Warm-up? With right (or rather not so good) conditions, it can take a CRT projector over half an hour to warm up to a stable state. Maybe your projector has been tweaked/tuned while warm (which is the right way to do it) and after watching a ~2 hour movie your projector has reached the same state as it was when tuned.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Jay;

Could it be that after some time (like after a movie length) your CRT is completely warmed up and the optics finally settled - now fully focusing like how they did set when they were originally being calibrated?

When I first got my PJ I simply did not wait long enough to give the PJ time to warm up. I adjusted the focus right after firing it up with the result that I had to adjust again after some 10 or 15 min....

PS: I am still enjoying the "Space" and "And Action" background that you so kindly prepared for me! Thanks again!

______

Axel

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Could it be your eyes have adjusted to the movie which is not a sharp as text on a desktop. Returning to the desktop you see the detail.

I know when I use my laptops LCD for a couple of hours then return to my monitor, the monitor looks blurry, but soon my eyes adjust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How about this idea?

When you start up, your default video settings are set to an interlaced mode. 1080i for example. Then you play a movie, and your software is auto adjusting your video settings to a progressive mode (540p). And, then once the movie is over, the video settings are staying in progressive mode, and not reverting back to an interlaced mode.

Now, give that I have no idea what your hardware/software configuration is, this is nothing more than a guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.