AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious why Fujitsu does not allow online sales?I think this is a very stupid move. I remember Fujitsu didn't want online sales but they were available.Now you can't buy them at all online why?How in the world did they stop it completely? Please if you can tell me the anatomy of this desicion? Was a certain incident or what? Just a curious flat panel owner and fan. J.H.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,426 Posts
It's all marketing.

Fujitsu is competing for high end retail outlets that will service the type of customers they feel are less likely to be price sensitive. Such outlets don't like to carry lines that they know are also sold through discounters.

Of course since Fujitsu's dealer network is rather limited right now, that also means they lose sales because folks find the nearest dealer is just too far away.

--Bob

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like there being elitest.If I spelt that right.Meaning they only want certain people to own their dispays.To me that is just stupid.Companies should want anyone who wants one to be able to buy one.I can't imagine a more bizaar way to do business. J.H.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,426 Posts
Well Pioneer Elite does the same thing, but of course they've got the word "Elite" in their name already. And then Pioneer also has their regular line of products, availbable via internet, for the common people....

[grin!]

--Bob

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never knew that all the pioneer plasma I see on these websites are non ELITE. They don't sell the Pioneer Elite online? To me again this is all very supid and a bit insulting. They are basically saying certain peolpe are not good enough to buy our displays.Like everyone is not worthy of our products. Its also very stupid business sense.Sell to whom ever wants one.Sales are the name of the game not who buys them. I can say I will never buy a Fujitsu or Pioneer product again and I can afford them. i have a Plasma and a Sharp LCD. J.H.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
They are protecting their margins by virtue of their brand name and reputation for excellence. As long as people will pay the premium and they don't think they are losing $$$, they will continue. Also, if you do find one online Fujitsu will not honor the warrenty (not an authorized dealer, and authorized dealers can't sell online).

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You guys are somewhat on the right track but off the mark. When a manufacturer is attempting to get companies to seel their product, they do so buy limiting the distribution and thus allowing the dealers that display and demo their products. When your products are sold on the web, the customers (you!) shop at their stores to see the product then seek the lowest price (usually on the net). This causes your distribution that has money and time invested in your line to lose money and lose sales. Sounds great for you but not so good for them.

In today's market, home electronics are the best deal of anything in the world. Prices have been dropping for 30 years and they still get cheaper every day. The consumer does not care if a dealer or a manufacturer makes money so someone has to. There are many brands that do not authorize on-line sales. My company is one of those as well. You guys don't like it but it is a way to keep the Best Buys, Circuit City, Ultimate, Tweeter, Good Guys etc. to stay in business.

I don't expect you to understand or agree but that is the way it is. It's not elistist, it's survivalist.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You company meaning Sharp? I just bought the LC-32G4U and its just incredible.I bought it online with no problem. i also bought a 5 year extended warranty which worked well for me in the past.Maybe Sharp doesn't like online dealers but they don't completly cut off those sales.To me it would just be stupid.Sales,sales,sales. J.H.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The point is that most B&M's will charge full MSRP for these panels. If they would lower there margins maybe more people wold purchase from them as opposed to the web! Isn't the actual cost 50-60% of MSRP?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doubleroll
The point is that most B&M's will charge full MSRP for these panels. If they would lower there margins maybe more people wold purchase from them as opposed to the web! Isn't the actual cost 50-60% of MSRP?
You are shopping in the wronf B&M places.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Mike53,

Ok, I'll buy your argument only if you tell us what are the right B&Ms?

Dave

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike53
I don't expect you to understand or agree but that is the way it is. It's not elistist, it's survivalist.
Why wouldn't one understand. It ain't rocket-surgery.

As for your last sentence, the market will play itself out. I'm willing to bet all 'mainstream' manufacturers will eventually allow online sales, otherwise they'll find themselves losing more and more market share as online sales continue their upward trend.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fujitsu's plasma sets are at the highest end of the market. They have an elite product but are not elitist.

Very often high end products are made and sold in limited quantities and through limited dealers who are trained to service the products. Bang and Olufsen is an excellent example. Their products have never been better, and about 10 years ago they let their distributorship agreements expire and now limit sales only to B&O stores, which sell no other brand of products.

Not everyone wants the product, and not everyone is exonomically able to purchase one. So there are fewer Fufitsu dealers, few B&O stores, and I bet if you check the listings for your state, you will find one Lexus dealer for every 10 to 20 General Motors outlets. It's the only way a manufacturer can maintain the quality of the product, the atmosphere he wants in the selling environment and especially keep up the quqlity of the customer service, which many believe to be the most important aspect of maintaining the customer at the high end of the price scale.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cheridave
Mike53,

Ok, I'll buy your argument only if you tell us what are the right B&Ms?

Dave
All you have to do is make *cough*Onecall*cough*.:D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.H.
You company meaning Sharp? I just bought the LC-32G4U and its just incredible.I bought it online with no problem. i also bought a 5 year extended warranty which worked well for me in the past.Maybe Sharp doesn't like online dealers but they don't completly cut off those sales.To me it would just be stupid.Sales,sales,sales. J.H.
BTW, in your purchase of the 5 year warranty, you just added to that dealers bottom line. After market warranty are absolutely worthless 98% of the time.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by E39
Why wouldn't one understand. It ain't rocket-surgery.

As for your last sentence, the market will play itself out. I'm willing to bet all 'mainstream' manufacturers will eventually allow online sales, otherwise they'll find themselves losing more and more market share as online sales continue their upward trend.
Maybe, maybe not. The internet is a demand filler not a demand creator. The same applies to Costco or Sam's. They are demand fillers not creators. If it weren't for B&M sites, most of the buying public would have no idea what stuff does.

Internet sales today rank a very distant relative to what is sold through B&M's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike53
Internet sales today rank a very distant relative to what is sold through B&M's.
I don't disagree with a word you've said. However, the word TODAY shouldn't be under-emphasized.

I fail to see how online sales can't continue to grow unabated for many years.

So until that time, keep those fingers in the ****.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by E39
I don't disagree with a word you've said. However, the word TODAY shouldn't be under-emphasized.

I fail to see how online sales can't continue to grow unabated for many years.

So until that time, keep those fingers in the ****.
LOL. Nice.

Face it, Fujitsu and Pioneer elites are all about margin preservation. Panasonic's Onyx line is an attempt to grab the high end of the market as well, and I seriously doubt it will be available on-line where the real cut-throat, low overhead competition happens to be. Only difference here is that Panasonic has what I believe to be the correct approach- instead of cutting off your nose to spite the face (not allowing warrenty for online purchases) they've segmented (or at least attemping to segment) their product line offering value to their end users from the bottom to the top of the pricing structure. All, of course, IMO.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mike 53 let me tell you a story and I love the LCD.I had a plasma and a warranty 5 years warranty. Two years in the TV died.I took it to the authorized service center and the confirmed it was dead.The next day I got a call from the warranty saying how sorry they were and were sending you out a brand new one.They didn't make that model anymore so they were sending the new model. They sent me a brand new HD plasma because my ED plasma has died.I will never ever purchase a plasma or LCD without one.Never ever will I buy one without it. Again the LCD is incredible MIKE53.What a beautiful display.I am convinced LCD is better than plasma.I cant wait to see the 45" version. J.H.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.