AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come when I go to amazon to browse TV's it seems that people are buying LCD's way more than Plasma.

The reviews are 10 fold for the Samsung LCD's compared to the Plasma's?

Am I wrong, or are people buying LCD's ? It seems there is a big push to go LCD.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwagon_effect

In microeconomics, bandwagon effect describes interactions of demand and preference.[7] The bandwagon effect arises when people's preference for a commodity increases as the number of people buying it increases.This interaction potentially disturbs the normal results of the theory of supply and demand, which assumes that consumers make buying decisions solely based on price and their own personal preference. See network effect and Veblen good.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi Sammy,

Daniel'son has it right, it's the bandwagon effect for you see from mostly the uninformed.

Have you looked at both plasma and LCDs side by side and chosen what you like best? I think that would be a fundamental first step.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy650 /forum/post/15424208

How come when I go to amazon to browse TV's it seems that people are buying LCD's way more than Plasma.

The reviews are 10 fold for the Samsung LCD's compared to the Plasma's?

Am I wrong, or are people buying LCD's ? It seems there is a big push to go LCD.

The quantity of sales doesn't always necessarily reflect the quality of a product. There are more manufacturers of LCD's and also a larger number of sizes available in LCD's so it's only natural that LCD sales would be higher. There are some good LCD's and some good plasmas. My opinion is to always go and check each of which you are interested in and then make your own determination.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 /forum/post/15424641

The quantity of sales doesn't always necessarily reflect the quality of a product. There are more manufacturers of LCD's and also a larger number of sizes available in LCD's so it's only natural that LCD sales would be higher. There are some good LCD's and some good plasmas. My opinion is to always go and check each of which you are interested in and then make your own determination.

Well said.

+1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been trying, but when you go to best buy there always looping some stupid commercial that you can't really make a determination.

The only thing I notice is how the LCD pop's out and grabs my eye compared to surrounding plasmas.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy650 /forum/post/15425406

I have been trying, but when you go to best buy there always looping some stupid commercial that you can't really make a determination.

The only thing I notice is how the LCD pop's out and grabs my eye compared to surrounding plasmas.

aaaannnnd... Best Buy is notorious for never having remotes available.

So you're stuck with the crummy settings that the TV has... Unless you fumble around behind the set with your fingers and try to find the menu buttons.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It is really just numbers. More choices of LCD's and also when dealing with mid size tv's in the 30 to 42 inch range there really just isn't much for Plasma. Many stores barely even carry Plasma and you really have to look for them. I don't blame average Joe for being swept up by LCD. I have seen some very nice ones and I love my LCD monitor. Store environments just aren't that great for Plasma and first impression goes a long ways. To be fair though for a videophile even the LCD videophiles hate the store "torch" mode. At the end of the day most consumers just want to "plug and play" their tv without changing settings or having calibrations or things to worry about.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did not want to come over to flat panels. I was a rear projection guy. I finally did and went through several LCDs. XBR 4, XBR 6, Sammy 550, 650 no LED sets did not want to spend that kind of money. They all just look to fake on movies!!! Finally decided to give Plasma a chance. Went Samsung 550 1st. Good set but had pink stripe on the side. Then went with 50PZ800U. Great set. 360 and ps3 have never looked so good.

Now I am stepping up and getting a pro-111FD. Can't wait.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy650 /forum/post/15425406

Best buy usually doesn't mind if you bring your own source and hook it up to the tv you're interested in. If you have a HD-DVD player or BD player, bring it along w/ a movie and hook it up to some different tvs that you're interested in. At least this way you'll get to see some real content.

·
Registered
544 Posts
While Samsung may make great LCD's, I personally think their Plasma's SUCK! I'd only buy a Pioneer or a Panasonic Plasma.

A lot of it is the Bandwagon effect. Sales people push LCD over Plasma. People think Plasma is old, dead Technology, or are worried about burn in, or Recharging the Plasma, and other such Myths. They have a LCD for their PC Monitor, and so also go with LCD for their HDTV. I got a 50" 1080P Panasonic Plasma a couple months after my brother got a Plasma, and I found out I got the same one he did. Not only that, my Dad got the Costco 50" Panasonic Plasma also around the same time period. I think one of my other brothers also has a large Plasma If I remember correctly. So there's 4 Plasma's just from my Family.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Something to consider, also, is the fact that the lighting in the Best Buys of the world are usually better suited to sales of LCDs. I always believed that the Plasmas seemed dim and washed out compared to the LCD counterparts. It was only after a discussion w/ one of the BB guys one night and a trip to another BB store that has the Magnolia setup that I realized that the opposite is true. LCDs are too bright in the blacks, don't have as rich colors, and have much less appealing contrast. So, the reality is that most shoppers don't get a chance to see plasmas in the correct environment, so the LCDs win out in the viewing 'taste-test'.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDog1 /forum/post/15429833

Something to consider, also, is the fact that the lighting in the Best Buys of the world are usually better suited to sales of LCDs. I always believed that the Plasmas seemed dim and washed out compared to the LCD counterparts. It was only after a discussion w/ one of the BB guys one night and a trip to another BB store that has the Magnolia setup that I realized that the opposite is true. LCDs are too bright in the blacks, don't have as rich colors, and have much less appealing contrast. So, the reality is that most shoppers don't get a chance to see plasmas in the correct environment, so the LCDs win out in the viewing 'taste-test'.

That pretty much sums it up. In a proper evnironment I bet that many LCD buyers would have seen the plasma being better and bought one. I partially blame the manufacturers - they should help stores setup their products correctly. Oh well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The push on lcds was when the "god maker" SONY stopped making plasmas. This sent a loud message at the time. However with Sony losing 66% of their stock share price in 2008...they might just be mud now in terms of who should you listen to.

It takes time to reverse the bandwagon trend. People are just now abandoning the notion that sony makes the best tvs...although I agree they used to.

The blackeye of plasma 3 or 4 years ago will take time to change as well. But hey it has started...plasma regained some market share in 2008, and Pioneer has made plasma thunder back onto the map with the 9g panel improvements.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.