AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

How come people do not purchase receivers from Japan?

425 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Clark
I know that there must be a good reason, but I'm curious what it is. In the projector forum you hear talk about people who have bought there projectors from ********** for half price? I notice that they sell different receivers in Japan. Are they somehow incompatible with use here. I am planning a trip to Japan within the next half year and I was wondering if this is something I should be looking into.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I am guessing that the voltage is incompatible. Japan operates at 100V/50Hz and we use 120V/60Hz. Unless the equipment has a voltage selector, it won't work properly in the US w/o a step down transformer. Some DVD players use switching power supplies in which case they will work anywhere.
The projectors have the lower voltage, and everything seems to work out fine. Some people buy a transformer, but the majority do not.
Thats because they have a world power supply that can do anywhere from 100V to 240V and 50-60Hz. Lots of laptops are like this too.

Most receivers with their high, precise power rating, do not have a switching PSU like this.
Thanks! I suspected it must be something like that.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.