AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm currently trying to backup my DVD's to WM9. I tried to follow the WM9 HDTV encoding guide and encode my videos. I used the trial version of windvd 4 and I register the filters within zoom player. I actually followed the avisynth version of the guide and this is my script:

# PLUGINS

LoadPlugin("C:\\Program Files\\AviSynth 2.5\\plugins\\MPEG2Dec.dll")

#

# SOURCE

mpeg2source("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Lawrence Lee\\My Documents\\Walk.d2v")

I tried using the default ac3 file w/o correcting the errors and I didn't get the result that I wanted. I then went and corrected the errors with besweet and cut out the extra frames with ac3 delay corrector. Every time I encode, nothing works. Everything is set, the 6 channels options are all enabled and even graphedit say that its 6 channels enabled. What am I doing wrong? Thx

·
Registered
455 Posts
Have you registered windvd? I think if you just use the trial version odd things happen like they only work for so many minutes of content

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea I got it registered but the audio and video won't sync. Why?????? What do I need to do to get it to sync? This is driving me crazy...

·
Registered
455 Posts
You are cutting off the leading xxx milliseconds (as reported in the DVD2AVI ac3 file name), right? Are you saying that is having no impact at all?

I've seen where it is still a few milliseconds off even with that. When I want to be really precise I use trial and error in tuning the number of frames to cut. but are you seeing the gross lipsynch issue as if you had not even adjusted the audio at all?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by patja
You are cutting off the leading xxx milliseconds (as reported in the DVD2AVI ac3 file name), right? Are you saying that is having no impact at all?

I've seen where it is still a few milliseconds off even with that. When I want to be really precise I use trial and error in tuning the number of frames to cut. but are you seeing the gross lipsynch issue as if you had not even adjusted the audio at all?
Yea I use the ac3 audio delay corrector and cut off the milliseconds that is listed along with the dvd2avi file name. That does nothing as everything is still not in sync. I made sure by enlarging my video screen and watch the actor speak but the sound doesn't seem to be coming out at the time in which they talk. It also seems unnatural. That's all that I can say at this point. Is there anything else that I can do? Thx

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sgt - sorry you are still having problems. I was actually able to figure this out, but there are many things that I had to change, and I am not entirely sure which one caused it to work. i actually just wrote up a guide describing what i did. find it here .

first, I wouldn’t worry about the windvd audio. just d/l the free ac3filter from doom9. very good functionality, and I have had no problems with encoding or decoding. second, I am using virtualdubmod instead of wme. I noticed that when I ran the same script through wme, it always dropped frames - a 1000 frame test would encode to 890 or 930 or 960 frames depending on the compression settings and other things. I just got tired of it, and with the new vcm wrapper for wm9, VDM works like a champ.

check out the other post and let me know if that helps.

k

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am having the same trouble with PowerDVD XP. The playback sound has a 2 second delay. I just figured my processor was not fast enough to process the files.

I have had even bigger troubles with WinDVD4. It seems to be more of a resource hog than PowerDVD XP.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by summit3907
Sgt - sorry you are still having problems. I was actually able to figure this out, but there are many things that I had to change, and I am not entirely sure which one caused it to work. i actually just wrote up a guide describing what i did. find it here .

first, I wouldn’t worry about the windvd audio. just d/l the free ac3filter from doom9. very good functionality, and I have had no problems with encoding or decoding. second, I am using virtualdubmod instead of wme. I noticed that when I ran the same script through wme, it always dropped frames - a 1000 frame test would encode to 890 or 930 or 960 frames depending on the compression settings and other things. I just got tired of it, and with the new vcm wrapper for wm9, VDM works like a champ.

check out the other post and let me know if that helps.

k
I have a question about the VCM wrapper. First of all since its beta, will the encodes done by the beta filter, would the output files be compatible with future hardware WM9 players or is it actually compatible with current software players? Also is it possible that I use the VCM wrapper to encode my video and use the WME to encode my audio and later mux them and hope that the audio will sync? The thing is that the vcm file will actually output a avi file though...

·
Registered
406 Posts
sgt,

my understanding is that the vcm wrapper is beta, but it uses the same encoder program as regular wme. i think a few of the features of wme are disabled (such as advanced deinterlacing and a few others), but the encoding engine is the same. perhaps amir can confirm this.

i am limited in my knowledge of how the details of the video and audio are stored, but i think the avi format simply allows you to store audio and video streams together in sync in one file. the file is 'parsed' and the audio and video are separated and sent to different filters to decode. if you open the resulting avi in graphedit, you will see the two streams and their respective encoders. avi lets you store any video codec and audio codec together. you can think of the 'wmv' file format as the avi for wmv and wma.

the method from my other post uses wm9 video and ac3 audio. vdm doenst allow you to mux in wma, and i suspect it will stay that way. they were 'asked' by ms to remove some support of asf files, so i suspect it will stay the same for the new wm9 files

if you want to use wma, you should probably just use wmencoder directly. you can still open the avs file from encoder (just choose 'both file and device' for video, and i suppose the ac3 file for audio). i experiemented with this, but the encoder kept dropping frames. i think this might be related to the particular filters that i have as i think other folks have not had this problem. also, wmencoder cant adjust the audio on the fly, so you would have to use besweet or some program to fix the audio delay.

if you dont care about keeping a stream that your receiver can decode (dd or dts), and just want the wma, then you should experiment with using the avs file in wmencoder. if you can do it without dropping frames, let me know!

k

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I tried another encode with WME and again the video and audio won't sync. I didn't notice any dropped frames that was listed in the statistics section of the encoder. I also installed the divx codec like you recommended. It would be nice if amirm can come in here and confirm whether the files encoded with the VCM wrapper would be WM9 compliant. Thx

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
The "bit stream" generated by the VCM and WME are compatible with each other (meaning they use the same WMV compression engine internally and you can use one decoder for the other). In case of VCM, you can put the output in your favorite file format which for just about everybody, is AVI. In case of WME, it will output to our "ASF" format. Either one will play in our media player and others that support our format. The quality should be nearly identical (I think there is one advance mode that is not available in the VCM).

The advantage of ASF file format used in WME is that it is far more flexible to program to and allows us to have unlimited number of tracks, etc. But not every app understands ASF so we released the VCM letting you use your own app such as virtualdub.

In general, VCM should be easier to use in the scenarios people have here wrt to converting mpeg files since you can use your existing processes with minor variations. But since we have not released our audio codecs as ACMs, you need to pick a different audio codec (most people simply pass the dolby digital sound track as is to AVI). Note that we can indeed provide an ACM for our audio codecs but getting them to synchronize in AVIs is impossible. So we have chosen to not do this at this time (we have documented the API for the DMO interface of WMA so it is possible for someone else to do the work).

WME on the other hand, requires its own procedures which tend to be more complicated but lets you use WMA/WMA Pro for audio. There are guides in this forum on how to do this.

Amir

Microsoft

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Sgt_Strider -

If you use the VCM with AC3 in Virtualdubmod then when the audio delay is not correct it's fairly easy to fix it, without re-encoding anything. Just load your new avi into Vdubmod, set both video and audio to "direct stream copy" and change the audio interleave value. Select a few minutes at the start of the file and save it (at fast disk copy speeds). Play the short saved segment. Do this until it sounds correct and then save the whole file.

- Tom

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of my previous questions still remain unanswer and I would really like to know if this method will work or not. Anyway I was thinking of if its possible to use the VCM to encode the video into a avi file and then use the WME to encode the audio into WMA and then later use the stream editor of the WME to mux the audio into the video to form one movie file? Amir just said that you can't do that in .avi but what if the WME changes the extension of the file, would that work? Thx

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Btw amir, what is the advance feature that is missing from the VCM wrapper? How much longer till the final version of the VCM is out? Also my previous questions from the above post need to be answered as well. Thx

·
Registered
406 Posts
sgt,

whether or not you can do what you are asking, the question would have to be why are you trying to do it this way? if you want to have wmv and wma in the same file, you should probably just use wmencoder. the method described in the guide assumes you want to keep the ac3 stream for passthrough to a receiver.

you should be able to still use avisynth and all the filters (and thus the benefits of the other method) in conjunction with wmencoder - just open the avs file in wmencoder. there is also a way to specify the audio source in avisynth script (i think wavsource("filename")) and combine them (audiodub(video, audio)), so i suspect you can just point the audio and video sources of wmencoder to the same avs file. another alternative is to open the avs file for the video only, and the ac3 file for the audio. you might have to work the ac3 file to fix any delays. i have not tried either of the above methods, but i assume they will work.

i dont see the point of trying to work around using wmencoder if you want to have wmv and wma in the same file at the end of the process.

k

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.