AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im soon going to be buying a 4805 projector and i have seen several [people in the 4805 forum talk about dead or stuck pixels ? ? ?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Methinks stuck is a better term... dead is referred to LCD as it is somewhat organic in nature, whereas mirrors are mechanical...

I'm more familiar with dead/bright pixels on LCD... whilst working 3 out of every LCD that came through had a dead pixel or more. Most everyone walking in the store didn't spot them, neither did my coworkers... I didn't have to look hard, just noticed it off the bat (they called me a dead pixel detector... bip.... bip.... bip-bip-bip-bip!)

The problem of stuck mirrors on DLP is nowhere near as common, and as I've never seen one, I've no idea how noticeable it will be. My guess is that given the lower res for same money, it might be more noticeable, whilst at the same time being a "smoother" picture it might be just as elusive. The 260K I have at home doesn't have any. I've not seen any DLP's on display that had stuck pixels either, but DLPs on display are rarer than LCD's on display so there is that numbers game.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well so far I'm 1 for 1 on getting a projector with a dead pixel/stuck mirror. I bought an X1 from an online store I found on pricegrabber. They advertised it as new but when I got the stupid thing it had RE stamped all over the box. When I set it up I checked the bulb usage and it had 29 hours on it! Called the worthless seller back and low and behold "it should have been advertised as refurbed" and then they offered me $100 to keep it. B---S--- I said. The piece of junk is going back on their dime. I don't know how common it is but it defenitely is noticable on the X1. Just a black dot on the screen. I wish the X1 was still in stores.

·
Registered
8 Posts
By the way I believe the X1 and 4800 are pretty much the same projector with different firmware, remote and about $500 different pricetag. At least thats what the "experts" in this forum say.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
@theblueline

You are confusing the 4805 for the 4800... 4800 is 800x600, 4805 is 852x480 widescreen with darkchip 2200:1 contrast ratio and 4X 6 segment RGBRGB colour wheel. Big diff.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.