AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have had a Pana SS 30 hour (HS2000) problem-free for over a year. I bought a new 20-hour SS (HS1000) last month. A week later it was dead. Returned it, got an open box 20-hour. 2 weeks later it is in the enless reboot cycle after a power failure.

I am about to put in a Maxtor 80GB in the 30 hour.

Is there any concensus on what causes the reboot of death. I understand it is a corrupted OS partition but is there something common about all these and what is the overall feeling as to frequency?

Is power failure the leading cause? Heat? Hacked drives? Any thoughts on how to avoid this problem? If I lose another one I may have to buy a household generator - these things are getting hard to find :)

BTW, Pana support was surprisingly good - recognized the problem, I did not have to describe exactly what I was seeing over and over. They are shipping a replacement this week...I think it will be a refurbished one but one never knows :)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
ROD cause:

#1 Disrupting AC power to the unit without powering off the unit first and allowing hard drive to stop spinning. Data must be allowed to finish writing to disk.

#2 Unit locked up and you pulled the plug. During a typical lock up the power button and remote don't work so you have no other recourse but pull the plug.

I don't know all the reasons for lockup but suspect unit:

overheated

ran out of memory

ran out of disk space

not to mention defective hard disk or motherboard

If the unit never worked correctly right from the first boot up suspect motherboard or hard drive defect. Since its under warrantee let Replay/Panasonic fix it. You can only service the hard disk. No other major parts are readily available.

What you can do is keep unit ventilated and powered by a always on AC outlet.

Since you will be hacking your replay you will have the ability to restore your replay quickly if ROD comes to your door.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.