Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw this on the CRT forum

(Alan's "pat on the back" to the CRT people) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/009757.html

While I have no problem with CRT fans claiming their technology is better..I absolutely hate the way everyone is so condescending...).

And then you see this mail from the AVIA guru Guy Kuo..trying to sympathize over the woes of the ignorant masses blissfully unaware of the redpush in their TV sets...or someone else losing his sleep over how the digital guys are suffering with the blacks in God father.

While I respect your missionary zeal towards getting the best PQ..please understand that for a lot of people this is not the highest priority of their life..So don't belittle some one just because they own some equipment which is inferior in you eyes. For all you know "these ignorant masses" might be achieving the ultimate goal of HT..Enjoying the movie (without getting a heart attack over the lack of clarity in the credits)

[This message has been edited by schintam (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
From what I got from Alan's post was a congrats to that forum for not having so many heated battles. Much more facts and less personality. Maybe I missed something. Maybe I've just been around more and have gotten use to the punches. Maybe I don't wear a moderator hat and see all the reported/deleted threads. Something to keep in mind when the Indians are to be Indians and not chiefs.

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually..my post should have been a bit more clearer..I was more appalled at the replies to alan's post...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schintam:
Actually..my post should have been a bit more clearer..I was more appalled at the replies to alan's post...

Yep! I can understand that. My thoughts while reading the replies:

I agree!

Funny!

Oh Sh--!

Now that's could start a war!

That will start a war!

Someone is talking out their a--!

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I think you need to make that clear, to the point of editing your original post. There's nothing wrong with what Alan said, but some of the responses are pretty arrogant, IMO.

BTW, here's one flash of truth from that thread:

Quote:
CRT's are quite complicated to run, and you need the help of experienced operators to keep your theater going. So you have to be nice and respect the people that spend hours trying to help novices like me.
And to this I would also add that CRTs are "el Dimmo" and, unless you have the major, major buckos it takes for something like a G-90, can't throw a bright image on a big screen and have any light present at all.

Besides which I want to watch movies not entertain a trail of "experienced operators" to keep the damn thing going. My LCD is an absolute piece of cake to operate.

Dan Houck

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
schintam

David is correct..my post had nothing to do with which technology was superior I gave congrats for it being a smooth running forum.

Both camps are guilty of boosting their technology is superior.

Reality is both are right. Those who own a crt projector are using the projector that fits their needs.

Those here on the digital forum choose a digital projector because they prefer this technology for their needs.

Everyone is happy!

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the reason this forum has more heated battles than the CRT forum is because it includes three different digital technologies. If you had an LCD forum no one would be complaining to much about screendoor as everyone would have accepted it. In a DLP forum everyone would not be to bothered by rainbows and in the D-LIA forum no one would complain about noise or cost. I'm sure you would have battles between which LCD is better or DLP is better but it would be more limited. Because of the computer industry there is probably a broader selection of digital projectors to choose from than what CRT has to offer. Just look at all the projectors that NEC makes.

I am glad that the digital formats are combined becasue I enjoy reading and learning why one person prefers one projector over the other.

[This message has been edited by TC (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Ok..I was still writing while a few posts hit the thread before my last post.

I think some of the responses were right on the money over on the crt forum.

That forum runs smoother because as someone mentioned crt is crt. It does not matter if it is a Sony or Barco. It does not matter if you bought a b stock for 2k or a new unit for 25k. You still end up with comparable light output and picture quality.

Because digital is still in its infancy there are so many brands with different levels of light output and pixel array and different sizes. The market is very aggressive as are its users!

The digital forum is full of tweekers. Never satisfied with a unit out of the box. Like hot rodding a car http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck:
My LCD is an absolute piece of cake to operate.

Dan Houck

Oh sure, NOW you say that, but I distinctly remember you kicking a few holes in the sheet rock during set-up. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
175 Posts
Schintam, great post. It gets to the heart of what is wrong with so many hobbies/forums. Fact is, most people in HT would rather watch great transfers than great movies.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
CRT technology is more mature and its owners tend to be more mature. Additionally if you have an older CRT like I did, a NEC 6pg, you still get encouragement and congratulations from a G90 owner because they know even though your projector is old it still can produce a stunning picture. If someone mentioned a digital projector of the same relative age of the NEC 6pg in the digital section they would receive all kinds of condescending remarks like it really time to upgrade. etc etc. I think the digital projector section is populated by more nerdy types who think in terms of products being very short-lived and the need for constant upgrading. The constant change and rapid state of progress in digital projection make people nervous, irritable and defensive about the projector they own and the projector they are about to buy. I don't agree with Alan's statement that digital folks tweak more-there just isn't that much to tweak compared to a CRT which has an endless supply of tweak areas. There was many a night I fell asleep on my couch with my CRT's remote in my hand in the middle of a tweak session.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think it is more likely that the pilot light in the old fogeys on the CRT forum is just getting so dim they can't start the fire to have a good flame. They know they are living with dying technology and it just seems cruel for us to bother them. Let the dinosaurs live peacefully while it lasts.Its just a matter of time before they are come over to our forum and find out for themselves how going the extra mile can make all the difference in these simple point and shoot digital projectors.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Actually if you want to get the fire lit, just start a thread on comparing an EHOME 9500LC to a G90 in regards to color fidelity.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

[This message has been edited by Wireless (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Analog vs Digital, LP vs. CD, SACD vs DVD-A, Lamps vs. Monsters..Nerds vs Nerds? The common denominator is the people who argue about them.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
And now that we have a handle on re-building the tubes on those beasties, Jurassic Park will be open and all those dinosaures will be free roaming. Hee! Hee! Hee!

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
With all due respect to Alan, I find his original comments interesting considering many of his "revered" CRT forum posters have been the ones to come over to this forum just to lob insults at Digital's "inferiority" to CRT.

And don't get me started: I've owned both.

Perhaps Alan is being a little myopic?

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Hey!

I'm an old fogey and I do digital! So there!!

Lenny, were you just trying to stir the pot this morning, hmmm? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

BTW, we watched Shakespeare In Love for the first time on our Boxlight 38T/Grayhawk combo last night and it was spectacular. I see now why Seleco used this disk at CES to show off what the HT200 could do. Frankly, the Boxlight blew it away--far more depth and color and equally good contrast and black level.

Dan

Dan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.