AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I started coming to this forum, I have not been very normal - I bought a projector, have not paid any attention to any of my other hobbies, and spending boundless energy and time on the projector ... in fact, I was up until 230AM last nite trying to get the picture to come out nice. Is this normal to be so preoccupied with one's projector? When does it wear off? Only when the spouse kills it? Is there a natural reduction in the projector's attractiveness over time?

OK... now that I have said my psychological piece, I also wanted to ask some questions to anyone who has a SONY 1030Q1 or 1031 -

I tried two methods of connecting my DVD player to the projector as follows:

(1) Composite input

(2) DVD to Line doubler (Iscan Pro) using S-video, and then from Iscan Pro to the SONY 1030Q1 using the vga 15pin/25pin Connector that was purchased from Jason Berg.

The picture using method (1) was always bigger than that using method (2). Why is this?

Is there some setting on the Iscan that I am not doing correctly?

Also, I opened up the projector (my 2:30AM adventure!) and think I may have messed with the reference green picture adjustment controls. Any idea how I restore the original settings (if it is needed)??? HELP HELP...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
"Ever since I started coming to this forum, I have not been very normal - I bought a projector, have not paid any attention to any of my other hobbies, and spending boundless energy and time on the projector ... in fact, I was up until 230AM last nite trying to get the picture to come out nice. Is this normal to be so preoccupied with one's projector? When does it wear off? Only when the spouse kills it? Is there a natural reduction in the projector's attractiveness over time?"

Oh, yes. Quite normal. I spend ALL my time with them, on this forum,

and when I'm at work, I hunger for them.

Nicholas

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
As far as the normal part, yeah, it's normal, I spent may a night working on mine til 4 am and my sight was as if I'd had way to much to drink...blurry and double!

Does it wear off? Yes, once the pj is looking good, you will then spend until 2 am watching movies!

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
OK NANDU,

First yes the composit input will display a huge full image and when you go to RGB it will be small and not fit the screen.

This is because of scan rate (HZ's) differant frequancies.

what you have to do is forget about the internal test pattern generator if you plan on setting up the unit with RGB inputs and a line doubler. You need to use a THX Optimode disc (DVD) and display the hatch color bar test for convergence. While it on the screen start with the green tube and using the convergence controls and WHITE controls you can get your green back to where it needs to be and get it to fit the screen your using. REMEMBER to make sure first that your DVD Player is outputting the right aspect ratio or youll be wasting your time. You have to use the RED BLUE and GREEN individual height adjustments to get the image to reach top to bottom. For the width there is a main width control that will move all three tubes at the same time to get the width correct. Of course you shoud do the geometry of each tube / color first and using the width control to get them to fit the sceen last.

There is no internal settings other then sync on green and normal sync in the DVDO line doubler so if its working with the projector then your OK as fat as that goes. As far as the internal patterns go I find that the cross hair is just abouth the only one that works for center convergence touch ups when you run the RGB section of the 10XX projecotrs. Mine is a 1031Q. But again do not converge with the internal hatch because one, it will problably be pe projecting over the screen borders and two its not the same freaquancy as the line doubled image and your convergence will not be the same when you switch back to the sorce any way. I just use the test patterns off the optimode section of Toy Story 2. It works great and you can set grey scale and everything else needed to get a great image!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
All perfectly normal, just look at the number of posts most of us have.

And Vic describes the Sony accurately, and what you need to do. All very normal...... yeah.....

Marc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.