AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

We've got the screen. Close to the receiver.

Looking at speakers -- thinking about small Paradigms (a cc170 and 2 atoms).

How critical are the surround speakers? We've got an old mid-fi pair of KLH speakers that I was thinking of using as surround units?

Thoughts welcome.

- Richard

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCanuck /forum/post/0

Greetings.

How critical are the surround speakers? We've got an old mid-fi pair of KLH speakers that I was thinking of using as surround units?

Thoughts welcome.

- Richard

Depends on what you're listening to. If you are watching Star Wars and really just need surrounds for sound effects, then I'd argue they should be a small part of your budget.

But if you're listening to a DVD Concert or DVD-Audio, I'd say they are nearly as important as your Left and Right speakers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've never really seen the point in spending big money on surround speakers unless you are wanting to get a di-pole design of some sort. It is true that in surround music sounds a bit off if you've got k-mart brand speakers playing 1/3 of the music though.

For surrounds, I would get the cheapest bookshelf speaker you can buy that is the same brand as your front 3 speakers, that should be sufficient.

·
Registered
458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCanuck /forum/post/0

Greetings.

Thoughts welcome.

- Richard

I agree with SimpleTheater and would add that it also depends on the movie source...some mixes use the surround channels heavily and some don't.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX /forum/post/0

I agree with SimpleTheater and would add that it also depends on the movie source...some mixes use the surround channels heavily and some don't.

Good point. If you watch a movie like The Pianist, you're going to get a LOT of use from your side speakers - and since its music that is also playing on your L/R/C channels, any type of timbre difference might be annoying.

I don't know your budget, but I've always loved the PSB Image speakers. There B15 speakers match nicely with their other Image line speakers, and their S50's are great surround speakers. I'd use Image speakers in any room smaller than 2,000 cu ft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.