AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my satellite box in the attic and the projector in the cellar, so I will need a run of 10 meters to get there. I can get pretty cheap cable on a local shop, but of course we're not talking about Monster Cable... It's called "high grade" and is made for component, but I've got a feeling that's pure bull and marketing. But how much does that cable matter for this application? I want to enjoy all the Norwegian gold medals in the Winter Olympics in glorious HD on my Barco CRT projector!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts
I would look at monoprice for cable. They make heavy duty component cables for long runs. Should be a whole lot cheaper than any store bought brand without giving up the quality. I would go with the thickest cables that they have to prevent signal loss.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wrong country.
With shipping to Norway it will probably bankrupt me.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
If you really want to know you need to know the cables capacitance, resistance and it's shielding coverage. Otherwise your totally guessing.... Regardless of what responses you get on here without the specs you just can't know. Obviously buying from a legit cable company alleviates this problem. But that's not necessary.


If you get the cable specs what you can do is take the capacitance per foot/meter then put it into a (online) calculator and find out at what length the cable will start to effect your video bandwidth.


However... I would make a component cable out of good quality coax (coax is very high bandwidth, way above whats needed for component video). Especially coax that uses 100% shielding coverage for a 30 foot run. Obviously try to keep the cables the same length, people might try and scare you a bit about timing issues. But you don't need to worry; you'd need to have drastically different length cables to mess it up.


They sell coax RCA crimp connectors for this purpose. **be sure to order crimps that are correct for the coax your going to use **
http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Conn...ml?30-294-RG59


And before you crimp the ends, I would buy some cheap 3m colored shrink tubing (correct size for your cable; shrinkage is usually 2:1) and mark the wires red,green and blue on each end appropriately on both sides.


RG59 coax should be OK for what you need to do. I would look for RG59 with 100% shielding... Just know there's lot of different flavors of RG59 depending on what you want to do. The spec cable I listed here would work fine. However if your really into this read up on RG59 and what you can find locally.

100' for $24
http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Conn...xhtml?RG59-100


Good luck
you should be able to make a real high quality cable for under $50 USD if you follow the coax method. Obviously you'll need to shop around for stores near you.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but still wrong country... I don't know if any of that stuff is available here. Anyway, I'm really not looking for super cables, I would only like to know if cheap cables degrade the signal much over 10 m. But I guess the only way to know it is to buy them and check. I can always return them if they don't work well.


But I can get coax cable here, of the type you use for satellite dishes. Would that be better than a cheap noname cable?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff /forum/post/18114359


Thanks, but still wrong country... I don't know if any of that stuff is available here. Anyway, I'm really not looking for super cables, I would only like to know if cheap cables degrade the signal much over 10 m. But I guess the only way to know it is to buy them and check. I can always return them if they don't work well.


But I can get coax cable here, of the type you use for satellite dishes. Would that be better than a cheap noname cable?

I listed that store for examples of the products; all of those products should be readily available near you.


Yes, the bandwidth of coax is WAY above what's needed, and it's not expensive. And you can custom make the cable length to your needs. Plus it's shielding coverage is awesome for long runs.


Try to stick to RG59 if you can find it (RG6 is commonly used on satellite installs), however RG6 is a lot harder to work with and would make the project a headache and probably not worth trying. One of the major differences between RG59 and RG6 is the center conductor, it's a lot thicker on RG6 (hence why it's harder to work with). As well the shielding is different between the RG6 and RG59; RG59 is correct for your needs.


You can always try cheap cables, see if it suits your needs.


If it was me for the $$ I'd run RG59 coax. Cost isn't much more and quality is superb. However if your not handy with those type of projects I would start shopping around for pre-made cables.


One thing to know when working with coax, try your *hardest* to not nick up (i.e. put tiny cuts/grooves) into the center conductor of the cable when stripping it. Those grooves can actually act as a filter. Unknown to a lot of people, your signal (electrons) don't actually travel through the wire (like a water pipe) they travel on the outside surface of it. So when the electrons run into the cut/nick/groove they can reflect back. Just an FYI
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Actually that would be cheaper! I have RG69/U (whatever that U means) available here really cheap. 75 Ohm, but I guess they all are, right? The crimping plugs aren't anywhere near me, though. Far out in the sticks in Norway we don't get stuf like that. But I may be able to fix it anyway, I have the old coax cables I used on my Barco before I bought a Port 3 cable (sort of a VGA like plug), so I could simply use a coax splicer (again of the satellite variety) to connet those two. You think that would work?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff /forum/post/18114463


Thanks! Actually that would be cheaper! I have RG69/U (whatever that U means) available here really cheap. 75 Ohm, but I guess they all are, right? The crimping plugs aren't anywhere near me, though. Far out in the sticks in Norway we don't get stuf like that. But I may be able to fix it anyway, I have the old coax cables I used on my Barco before I bought a Port 3 cable (sort of a VGA like plug), so I could simply use a coax splicer (again of the satellite variety) to connet those two. You think that would work?

yes RG59U would work fine. And yes 75ohm is pretty standard.


If you mean a simple coax joiner like this then yes, but anything else I would probably steer away from.
http://www.amazon.com/Female-Coax-Ca.../dp/B001330WRE


They also do make COAX -> RCA adapters. But they will probably be more difficult to find.


Sounds like you're in a time crunch...


I'd probably just order the RCA RJ59 crimps myself and wait of them to show up. As "less is more" in the signal path in my opinion.


Good luck...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that's exactly what I mean!
Then I'll use them until I can get the correct connectors. But they aren't really RCA, the projector has BNC connectors. So I'll try to get some of those to crimp. Thanks again for your help!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm officially shocked! Turns out that Biltema (sort of a mix of Radio Shack and Pep Boys, with most Pep Boys) has BNC crimp connections because they sell it for computer network gear! I'm going to get that, the cable and the crimper tomorrow. The problem will actually be the crimp RCA, they don't have that near me. But I can get solder on, so I think I'll try those. They are made for car use, and even if they are female I can use a very short male to male cable for now.




Maybe I can catch the first ski jump on Saturday in HD!



Weird thing, though: I tried to search eBay for RCA and phono crimp-on, but couldn't find anything. The only thing that came back was a few F connectors. Wonder why..
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff /forum/post/18119237


I'm officially shocked! Turns out that Biltema (sort of a mix of Radio Shack and Pep Boys, with most Pep Boys) has BNC crimp connections because they sell it for computer network gear! I'm going to get that, the cable and the crimper tomorrow. The problem will actually be the crimp RCA, they don't have that near me. But I can get solder on, so I think I'll try those. They are made for car use, and even if they are female I can use a very short male to male cable for now.




Maybe I can catch the first ski jump on Saturday in HD!



Weird thing, though: I tried to search eBay for RCA and phono crimp-on, but couldn't find anything. The only thing that came back was a few F connectors. Wonder why..

Cool.


Are any of these RG59 crimps?


Network BNC connectors usually go to 10base2 (thinnet) a completely different cable than RG59.


If they're not I would seek out actual RG59 crimps that match the cable. But I'm sure you can slap something that will work together for now.



Next time maybe don't wait until the last minute before starting one of these projects ...




Good luck....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The BNC are. But I'm going to have to find some RCA plugs somewhere else. And I know it's not smart to start hits late, but the reason I started at all was that I had to move the sattellite receiver to the other end of the house because of some remodeling my wife was doing last week. And suddenly it was within range for the home theater!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With a 10 meter (it may actually be 12...) cable that has to pass by power cables and computers on the way I want to use a good and well shielded cable.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top