AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm planning on building a screen for a flight sim. I have a decent amount of space, and I was wondering something: how much of a curve can my screen do without distorting the image? It would be awesome to have my entire view covered with just cockpit and sky. I was thinking something like a half-circle, but maybe not so extreme. I haven't bought a projector yet, and my sim supports any resolution and any aspect ratio. Is this idea possible?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Even a slight curve will cause the image to be larger toward the center than it'll be at the outside. You can counter this with an anamorphic lens, but only a small amount and they aren't particularly cheap.
Otherwise, either separate software or possibly even the sim itself can do the same job (un-bow the image) with the only limit being your resolution.

In general though, I bet you'll find sitting close to a giant screen (even a flat one) to be impressively immersive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even a slight curve will cause the image to be larger toward the center than it'll be at the outside. You can counter this with an anamorphic lens, but only a small amount and they aren't particularly cheap.
Otherwise, either separate software or possibly even the sim itself can do the same job (un-bow the image) with the only limit being your resolution.

In general though, I bet you'll find sitting close to a giant screen (even a flat one) to be impressively immersive.
Do you think so? I've ever actually viewed a (home) projector before, but what size screen do you think would fill up most of my view from about 2 feet away? (more space is possible)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't want to discourage you, but I'd look into getting an oculus rift. It would only be a dev unit until they release the finished product in a year or so, but it would be cheap and much more immersive. Unless you wear glasses like me, then you're SOL.

Otherwise, multiple rear projection units (front, left and right) may work. Stewart Starglas comes to mind. Depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to discourage you, but I'd look into getting an oculus rift. It would only be a dev unit until they release the finished product in a year or so, but it would be cheap and much more immersive. Unless you wear glasses like me, then you're SOL.

Otherwise, multiple rear projection units (front, left and right) may work. Stewart Starglas comes to mind. Depends on how much money you want to throw at it.
Hmm... No way I would do Oculus, as I'm actually building the whole cockpit with all the switches etc., so I need to see those. I'll have a look at rear projection and come back to ya

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Do you think so? I've ever actually viewed a (home) projector before, but what size screen do you think would fill up most of my view from about 2 feet away? (more space is possible)
Having enough resolution to watch a view-filling sized screen without it looking overly pixelated could be a problem. A distance of 2ft away (eyes-to-screen) would make going over 50-60"diagonal a real stretch, and though that 1:2 distance:width ratio would be way too close and large for movie viewing without feeling seasick, it still wouldn't be as immersive as a full-surround 3screen or hemisphere cockpit.
If you can setup a multi-projector rear-projection setup, that'd be ideal. The cheapest way to go would still cost about $1300 for three WXGA models and a triplet of DIY rear-projection screens. Full 1080p at each would raise costs to $1800-2400. Or you could use wxga for the sides and 1080p for the center..for about $1500.

Front projection would be the only way to do it without at least some small border between screens, but front would be trickier to get everything aimed without them interfering with eachother.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having enough resolution to watch a view-filling sized screen without it looking overly pixelated could be a problem. A distance of 2ft away (eyes-to-screen) would make going over 50-60"diagonal a real stretch, and though that 1:2 distance:width ratio would be way too close and large for movie viewing without feeling seasick, it still wouldn't be as immersive as a full-surround 3screen or hemisphere cockpit.
If you can setup a multi-projector rear-projection setup, that'd be ideal. The cheapest way to go would still cost about $1300 for three WXGA models and a triplet of DIY rear-projection screens. Full 1080p at each would raise costs to $1800-2400. Or you could use wxga for the sides and 1080p for the center..for about $1500.

Front projection would be the only way to do it without at least some small border between screens, but front would be trickier to get everything aimed without them interfering with eachother.
Hmmm... this all seems very complicated, and I don't think I want to spend the time or money to do such a setup. Do you think that a 60" 1080p front projection screen would be okay at my distance? Now that I think about it, I had ought to get a little farther away for the front of the cockpit to look right. Perhaps four to five feet?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
It shouldn't be much more complicated than a 3monitor PC setup, but I don't think it'd be possible to go cheaper than $1200 like that.
A single 1080p PJ at 100"-120" viewed from only a few feet should be very easy, still quite immersive and only $600-800.
If you're building an entire sim cockpit, it might be worth starting simple with the single PJ and flat screen with the intention of gradually upgrading to a curving software and curved screen or a triplet of smaller screens and a pair of cheaper projectors to fill the sides later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It shouldn't be much more complicated than a 3monitor PC setup, but I don't think it'd be possible to go cheaper than $1200 like that.
A single 1080p PJ at 100"-120" viewed from only a few feet should be very easy, still quite immersive and only $600-800.
If you're building an entire sim cockpit, it might be worth starting simple with the single PJ and flat screen with the intention of gradually upgrading to a curving software and curved screen or a triplet of smaller screens and a pair of cheaper projectors to fill the sides later.
Great idea, I think that's what I'll do. Thanks for all the help! The display should be a lot easier than I initially planned. Now, just to worry about the ridiculous amount of cncing, woodworking, and wiring I have to do...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This site should help. Its dedicated for flight simulation & sales software/DIY screen kits that can be calibrated to your projector once the screen is built. They have a complete kit with wrap around black pearl screen for $1250.

http://simpit.co.nz/index.php/products/simpit-warp-pro
Thank you so much for all your help! That site looks great! I finally have a plan for every component for this sim :D Now, all I need to do is wait till I can afford a little CNC machine, and off I go!

·
Registered
446 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts