AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start transferring some of my recorded videos to computers, using replaypc (I have a 5040). Every once in a while, however, I see a thread on this board about people losing all their recordings, or the guide data becoming corrupted, or worse things after using computer programs to access their RTV. How likely is this to happen - is this just an insignificant percentage of uses that can cause such failures, or is it fairly common? Do I need to worry about certain behaviors (like transferring while it is recording, or transferring while the RTV is being used) that are more "dangerous" than others? Any data would be useful.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, I've never seen a thread about people's data being corrupted by a PC software... most of us use it, without any problems. I'd say the risk is 2% :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't think DVarchive works with your 5040 - YET. I've used replayPC GUI with zero problems.

Do NOT transfer whilst it's doing anything else, the CPU load or disk interupts or whatever often makes the device unusable anyway. In my experience.

I wish I could copy between my 2x5040's though as a backup :(

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
>>I wish I could copy between my 2x5040's though as a backup

Depending on your network setup, and in particular your router, you may be able to "send" (as opposed to stream) shows between the 2 units). I can do it between my 40x0s, but some routers don't handle this correctly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When you send between local units, is the transfer at internal network speed (100mb) or at internet upload speed (much slower)?

·
Registered
742 Posts
The 5040's don't seem to be able to send much faster than 2-4mbs, regardless of network (10mbs or 100mbs). It's a real shame (almost archaic) they can't but that's the way it is. And that performance is only if the unit is NOT recording or being watched as well (i.e. switched off). Some have changed the delay settings to get faster but I've read too many cause the box to crash!!! I wonder if it's a poor Network Card and if it could be upgraded (with a cache and internal CPU to get more throughput without interupting the prime CPU).

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by empyle
When you send between local units, is the transfer at internal network speed (100mb) or at internet upload speed (much slower)?
While the initial communication takes place across the Internet, the actual transfer stays on your LAN, and as stated above, some routers don't allow this to work. With 4000/4500 boxes the transfer is about the same as streaming (eg. 1 hour for a 1 hour show). I haven't tried this with the 5000 series boxes yet, but can when I have time.

-Gary

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been using DVArchive for months now to make space and to archive all the BVS I can find. So far, no problems at all w/the replay that weren't there b4. I do see problems sometimes playing back from my DVArchive machine (fast forward doesnt work well for example) but otherwise it's fine (knock knock on head) :)

Vern

·
Registered
979 Posts
The primary "risk" is keeping CPU and I/O on the Replay low enough not to annoy the watchdog application that always monitors the system. If it thinks something has gone wonky on the Replay it will trigger an immediate reboot.

ReplayPC v0.4.2 and higher has a fairly "comfortable" throttle on downloads -- although it assumes that you aren't sending a show, running more than one instance, not running DV archive and not streaming between units on a LAN.

DVArchive also includes a safe throttle although the same caveats apply (but substitute the "not running DV archive" with "not running ReplayPC").

It is worthy of note that by turning off the unit (into standby mode) you give relax the Replay between 20 and 30% CPU.

As for these programs corrupting files on the Replay, I would say... no. As a programmer I won't say "ABSOLUTELY NOT" because these devices always like to surprise us... but there we are.

Incidentally, DVArchive and ReplayPC don't do ANYTHING shady with the unit. They're using the *exact* same methods as the LAN sharing mode between Replay units.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by l8er
I haven't tried this with the 5000 series boxes yet, but can when I have time.
Started transferring (via IVS) a 1 hour show at high quality between two 5040's on my LAN this morning. After an hour it was at about 44% done. So it appears the 5000 boxes may transfer shows slower than the 4000 boxes. (The sending 5040 was buffering live TV at the same time, while the receiving 5040 was turned off. Turning off the sending box didn't seem to speed things up at all.)

-Gary

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acourvil
Depending on your network setup, and in particular your router, you may be able to "send" (as opposed to stream) shows between the 2 units). I can do it between my 40x0s, but some routers don't handle this correctly.
I have the popular Linksys BEFSR41 and could not add my units to each other's address books until I upgraded the firmware.

-steve-

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks, I had tried copying last month and it failed. I had already upgraded the Linksys since then but not re-tried the copying. I entered both 5040's ports for forwarding and hey presto. They added to the address books instanty. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a strange problem on the PC w/DVArchive running (listed in another thread) but it did not lose my shows, only the catalog. I could have recreated the catalog by importing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 5040, two weeks ago I lost all my recorded programs. My Replay was recording a show. I was in Replay Guide deleting some shows. Plus coping a 30 min show to my pc using ReplayPC.

My Replay Locked up. I had to turn it off. Then when I turned it back on it looked like it was rebooting. After that I went to my replay guide all my shows were gone.

I wont do that again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.