AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a newbie (wanted to get that out of the way)

Looking to get a Z4. I have concerns about the level of darkness I need to enjoy the PJ.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
It really depends on the material. No lights at all is best though (especially for darker films). Having dark walls helps a bit too (but it's not needed to get a great picture). Animation can handle quite a bit more ambient light than say "Pitch Black".

If you want a little ambient light try to use shades and keep direct light off of the screen. This will keep washout to a minimum.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yes. but u need a pj, can emit as little light as possible, on the 'dark' areas of the image.

black will never be black, as long as the pj is emitting too much light on the black areas.

the HS51 is the best, LCD, PJ ive seen, for black levels. I bought one last month, its that good.

HS61 would be even better, I imagine.

Z4 will be good, but not as good as HS. u will still get a washed out grey-area, on blacks.

HS gives a much darker grey level, which really does look black in a darkended room.

if u can get the HS, for the same price as Z4, get one.....u wont be disappointed.

failing that, Ive heard good things about the new epson...........still not as good as HS on blacks, but apparently the best of the rest.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkr
Im a newbie (wanted to get that out of the way)

Looking to get a Z4. I have concerns about the level of darkness I need to enjoy the PJ.
It comes down to personal taste. I prefer DLP over LCD for the blacks but many people aren't as concerned with it. If you can find a place to view a couple projectors it would be worth your while.

And there are other factors, viewing distance, throw range, screen size etc...(not talking about black levels just generic concerns regarding projectors)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.