AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in the Kuro settings thread but I think my question got lost within the discussion.

I tried D-Nice's settings on my 5010FD and thought they looked nice (no pun intended).

I then popped in my AVIA dvd and ran through its basic setup (brightness, contrast, color, tint and sharpness) to see if there would be any difference and there was.

D-Nice's Settings:

Color: -13

Tint: Red 2

My Settings:

Color: +2

Tint: Red 4

When I saw how different the two results were I asked myself who is D-Nice and why is everybody using his settings?

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_s /forum/post/12965948

I asked this question in the Kuro settings thread but I think my question got lost within the discussion.

I tried D-Nice's settings on my 5010FD and thought they looked nice (no pun intended).

I then popped in my AVIA dvd and ran through its basic setup (brightness, contrast, color, tint and sharpness) to see if there would be any difference and there was.

D-Nice's Settings:

Color: -13

Tint: Red 2

My Settings:

Color: +2

Tint: Red 4

When I saw how different the two results were I asked myself who is D-Nice and why is everybody using his settings?

So who's settings did you like more? Yours or his?

Everybody will have different preferences - like my buddy who likes his colors to look a little over-saturated and didn't like the way i initially adjusted his set. I think he's nutz, but it's his TV and his eyes. But his wife liked my settings more

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I prefer my settings more but they may not be accurate. Maybe the colors are over-saturated and maybe the AVIA disc is setup for this. I may have gotten accustomed to the wrong thing.

This is the reason why I question D-Nice's settings, maybe he arrived at them using better equipment.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_s /forum/post/12968247

Well I prefer my settings more but they may not be accurate. Maybe the colors are over-saturated and maybe the AVIA disc is setup for this. I may have gotten accustomed to the wrong thing.

This is the reason why I question D-Nice's settings, maybe he arrived at them using better equipment.

well, even if he used a helper monkey holding a magic wand
to come up with his settings you still gotta live with the set. obvioulsly what randy said previously.

enjoy your beatiful hdtv.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
The settings are just guidelines, not the bible, and will look different on each set. Each "identical" plasma manufactured within a line will have slightly different tolerances due to the tolerances in the components. Even more important is the source. Comcast will look different for each user.

So if two different customers with identical systems have variances at the end of each tolerance spectrum you could see marked differences. They are just guidelines.

·
Banned
2,357 Posts
D-NICE has the settings because he uses them and many many many people on here have for years. They are provided as a tool and everyone will have a different opinion and you should use what looks the best to you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes... like Roman said, everyone will have a different opinion on settings and you have to use what looks good to you.

For me, i like to use the Old Movie settings compared to the User setting that D posted. Me and my wife went back and forth with these two settings and at end of the day old movie settings worked the best.

So with my Motorola HD box i use the old movie settings.

With my Rotel DVD player i use the old movie settings.

But with my Pioneer Blu-Ray player i use the User settings that D posted.

cheers,

·
Registered
565 Posts
I seem to remember that back in the old days we were warned that another person's settings were not of much use, because each build of the same model had different characteristics.

Now these forums are full of people displaying their settings for us all to use.

Has something changed? Is it digital TV?

Has anyone tested identical models with the same settings to see if there is a difference?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No one really answered his question to begin with though. How did he arrive at his settings to begin with (regardless of that the fact that people have different visual tastes in the settings)?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ /forum/post/12972704

No one really answered his question to begin with though. How did he arrive at his settings to begin with (regardless of that the fact that people have different visual tastes in the settings)?

If you go to his settings thread he shows you what he used to come up with the settings

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12972768

If you go to his settings thread he shows you what he used to come up with the settings

My bad. I haven't read that thread in a long time so I've forgotten any mention of that.

I suppose you should have just mentioned that to the OP in the first place.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ /forum/post/12972850

But that would have actually been helpful and that ain't his style

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ /forum/post/12972850

My bad. I haven't read that thread in a long time so I've forgotten any mention of that.

I guess since no one knows how to use the search feature here

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/12972910

But that would have actually been helpful and that ain't his style

Thanks "Pot Shot Randy". Always the personal attack with you. But that's just your style. I think I help a lot of the newbies with links to threads and external sources. But you are so intent on personal attacks that you don't notice. Rave on, Troll.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I applied D-Nice's settings throughout the break-in on my Pioneer 6070. Now that I have around 750 hours on it, I used Video Essentials to calibrate my display. After using these new settings for 3 days, I am back to D-Nice's settings.

·
Registered
30,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12972992

Thanks "Pot Shot Randy". Always the personal attack with you. But that's just your style. I think I help a lot of the newbies with links to threads and external sources. But you are so intent on personal attacks that you don't notice. Rave on, Troll.

Randy is one of the most helpful guys on this forum -- I don't think there's a single other person on this forum who would call making personal attacks his "style", except for you when you're on the defensive. But I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that all YOU do is post snide remarks in every thread either: 1. telling people to search because there are already 10 threads on the subject; or 2. telling people that panasonic sucks. How you have the gall to call someone else a troll is beyond me.

1,600+ posts and still nothing useful. Now I'm sure you're going to call me a troll too...

·
Registered
30,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12972974

I guess since no one knows how to use the

search feature here

For example.... this is the opposite of helpful, and falls into the category of snide condescension. Done with this, you won't bait me into anything that will anger the mods.

Please get back on topic, and if you have nothing helpful for the OP just don't post.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12968757

The settings are just guidelines, not the bible, and will look different on each set. Each "identical" plasma manufactured within a line will have slightly different tolerances due to the tolerances in the components. Even more important is the source. Comcast will look different for each user.

So if two different customers with identical systems have variances at the end of each tolerance spectrum you could see marked differences. They are just guidelines.

^^^ Exactly why I never use other peoples settings .. Ive seen how using the same settings on the exact same tv can differ from one unit to another.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts