AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon what may be perhaps an ignorant question - but how did I fry my sub?

There was a rattle at certain frequencies in my Energy ESW-8 somewhere behind the control panel; I could hear it as I tapped on it. So, I removed and reinstalled all the bolts and screws on the panel and tried to remove it - it's glued. I pulled the driver, and picked up the nuts and washers which dropped and reinstalled them - the rattle seemed gone, so I reinstalled the driver and ran a test tone. I gradually increased the level to +12db, where I heard a rattle again. After about 30 seconds, the output dropped to a low hum. I pulled the line in, and it continued. I unplugged it, then opened the box and smoke came out.

So, what did I do?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanne /forum/post/18296993

ran a test tone. I gradually increased the level to +12db,............ After about 30 seconds,...........

So, what did I do?

You probably burned up the voice coil of the driver. When I run test tones through my sub, I run a tone for about 5 seconds and silence for 20 seconds to let the coil cool.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 /forum/post/18298409

You probably burned up the voice coil of the driver. When I run test tones through my sub, I run a tone for about 5 seconds and silence for 20 seconds to let the coil cool.

I think that might be true, the vc smells burnt - but I think also some of the circuitry was fried, the sub won't power on anymore. I couldn't find a fuse, but isn't there usually a fuse to prevent idiots like me from frying their subs?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Check right beside where the power cord enters the sub.

There is often a little slider or popout that holds a fuse.

Otherwise, it is on the amp inside.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Life is easiest if the fuse is easily accessible.

It is not too difficult to remove the screws on the plate amp and look for the fuse on the amplifier. It is also easy to replace.

Your owner instruction manual should tell you what size fuse.

The fuses often say but the printing may get lighter with time and be difficult to read.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I replaced the fuse today with an equally rated fuse, plugged it back in, and the fuse blew immediately - any suggestions?

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanne /forum/post/18296993

Pardon what may be perhaps an ignorant question - but how did I fry my sub?

Over easy?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanne /forum/post/18337720

So, I replaced the fuse today with an equally rated fuse, plugged it back in, and the fuse blew immediately - any suggestions?

Short on the amp board?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick /forum/post/18338845

Short on the amp board?

If it was a short, how would I identify/fix it on the board?

Also, I wired the driver to another channel and it does produce sound, but I didn't push it - does that necessarily mean the voice coil is intact? or would I need to push it to know?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Look for scorch marks on the amp board. If it is popping fuses right off the bat I'd look at the amp first, then the driver second.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
The driver can be easily tested with a 9v battery. If the driver does not move while connecting the battery for a short time it's fried. The amp may still be good and just blowing fuses because of the short in the voice coil.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If the speaker is blown, you can contact Energy about a replacement or go to a reputable company like Parts Express for a suitable replacement.

To fix an amplifier, you will probably need a service manual, a volt/ohm meter, an appropriate soldering iron, and a tool for sucking up old solder. There are rare situations when you can easily see a burnt part, replace it and (possibly) replace the parts on each side of it to get the amplifier working again.

It generally is not cost effective to send the amplifier to Energy (or take it to a local repair shop).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sounds to me like some of the nuts and bolts that fell in are still there somewhere on the board possibly shorting something out. Take the amp out and scan the top and bottom of the board to see if something is in fact there. Could also be because you fastened the board maybe the back of the amp is coming into contact with ground where it shouldn't. Look at the amp from a side angle and note if any of the circuit board leads are touching the plate. Because you already saw smoke, unfortunately, it's too late. I'll bet it was a capacitor that blew. Take it in for warranty or if out a shop.

M

·
Registered
95 Posts
It really sounds like you blew the voice coil on the speaker. This is evidenced by the fact that the replacement fuse blew the moment you powered up the amp. Check the resistance of the - and + terminals on the speaker (disconnect the leads from the amp to speaker first). If it is a dual voice coil check them both. You'll likely find that the coil is at or close to a dead short.

If the speaker checks out (anywhere from 2-8 ohms with most coils), pull the amp and check for conductive foreign objects. Any more than this, you'll need amplifier troubleshooting and repair skills.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts