AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my ebay vinyl screen material and I'm not sure how to frame it. I understand that with a BOC you would stretch it onto a frame and staple it to the back of the frame.

This material is different - it's pretty thick. Should I just staple it to the front face of a frame and then attach another (black velvet) frame on top, thus sandwiching the material between two frames?

If I do that, then I'll see bare wood standing from the sides of the screen.

How did you frame your vinyl screen material?

·
Registered
19 Posts
First, I would quickly edit your question so that it does not reference any on-line sites. The mods seem to close threads that reference such sites. It sounds like you are in the same boat as I was a few years ago. I am assuming that your material has a black back? I built a 112" frame and tried to stretch by stapling it to the back. I first put a 1" boarder on the front of the frame so that once stretched it would not touch any other parts of the frame. I tried many times to do this. Unfortunately I was not successful at getting it completely wave free and as the years wore on the waves got worse. I have subsequently been reading that some people have had better luck stapling the material to the front. You may have better luck with a smaller frame. For the boarder, there are many ways of getting a good result. You could first staple some velvet to the frame, wrap the edges and then individually attach pre-wrapped boarder edges. Some people first paint the outer edges of the frame black and then attach the velvet boarder. What I did was I first stappled a velvet strip on the edge of the frame material and then nailed a border over top. I then stretched the velvet around the border and then stappled the velvet to the back hiding everything. You will need to tuck the velvet under the mitred boarder edge on in the front if doing it this way....sorry if this does not make sense, it is hard to discribe with no photos.

BTW. If you do get a few waves the screen might not look too good in the light, but you will not notice once watching in the dark.

I recently replaced my material screen with a DW screen. Now it looks great in the light, but I have been disappointed in its profromace vs. what I had, but that is another subject.

Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. It looks like we got the same material (with black back). I do not understand why I cannot mention that I got it on ebay...

Anyway, just received a response from the seller and he says not so pull it while stretching it and staple it to the velvet frame. I am going with a double frame (sandwiched) method. The only question is how to attach the velvet frame to the screen frame? Screws from behind?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts