AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Z1 and yesterday I put up a Parkland Plastic screen. Before that I was projecting onto a white sheet. The new screen makes the image much brighter, BUT dark areas of the picture look really washed out. Some dark movies (like Seven) are nearly unwatchable now.

It seems that people try to deal with this in one of two ways: either with an added lens or by switching to a gray screen?

I want to know what you did to improve blacks on your setup, what worked and what didn't...I love this projector, but I don't want to watch only brightly lit movies! ANY advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Gray,

You already know my answer. However, a quick fix would be to increase the contrast and gamma while lowering the briteness.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where is the light comming from that spoils your blacks? Project a black image and see if its much darker than the blacks in movies; if so switch to a (higher gain) grey screen. If not you could try filters.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do you have any ambient light? Have you calibrated your Brightness (Black Level) setting using Avia/VideoEssentials? I have a Digital Grey Goo'd screen and even with white walls darks scenes are fine. The only time I can see any problem is with a totally black screen when I can see it's not completely black, but I think a little bias lighting would fix this. Make sure you have brightness set correctly, mine is set at 25.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your responses! rapsac, I believe the light that is spoiling my blacks is being reflected off the new screen and possibly the white side walls and ceiling...CMRA, I intend to create a gray screen at some point, but first I wanted to see if there were any less labor intensive methods, like filters. JamesL, I have very little ambiant light and have calibrated with AVIA, but I thought the default settings actually looked better than the AVIA calibrated ones...

Thanks again for all your input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.