AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a personal question or how much you spent on an HDTV or which tv brand name you own, I'm just trying to get an idea how everyone bought their brand spankin new tv.

I guess the options to pay off a tv are: full cash amount at the store, check at the store, credit card (which card and are you making monthly payments thru that), store financing, bank loan, etc etc.

If you want to be specific, feel free to state it. Just remember that you can't post anything as to how much you dropped.

· Registered
1,365 Posts
18 month-no interest credit card at Circuit City. (8 months to go!) According to their ad, Best Buy is currently offereing a similar deal right now, although personally I wouldn't buy anything beyond DVDs and games from them.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll start the thread off.......

3 years ago I bought a nice 32" JVC CRT tv from Best Buy. I used a check for that cause it wasn't that much money anyway.

Coming up soon, I plan on getting a nice 50+ inch DLP tv. Obviously the price is in the thousands but I haven't decided on which store I'm going to buy it from. I figure I can do a few different things to pay for it. 1) I can drop them a check for the total amount but that might hurt my bank account. 2) I can get a 0% credit card and make minimum payments on that for a year and then pay it off completely. I've also heard that its good to have an AMEX card for this purchase since they will add another year to your warrenty 3) I can do financing thru the store, where that they 0 down and no payments for a year.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

· Registered
302 Posts
Charged on my Visa Check card so it came directly out of the account including the extended warranty and a Monster Power Center.

· Registered
63 Posts
Gold bars and some magic beans.

Seriously... Visa Check Card. I think where you actually buy the tv from will influence payment choice a bit.

· Registered
392 Posts
I bought mine from Sears in the mall, Hitachi LCD 50v500. I tried to pay with my Visa Check Card from my checking account but it had a $1500 dollar daily limit on it. So I walked into the mall and pulled out Cash and came back. Glad I was in Tax Free NH.

It sure hurts alot more when you actually see all the 100 dollar bills vs just signing a slip with a number on it. :eek:

· Registered
395 Posts
12 months same as cash...................

I have the funds in my checking account, but I'll use their money for a while and then pay it off.....I guess a little interest on 4K is better than none ????

· Registered
1,753 Posts
I sell my body for $5 a shot on a cruisy street here in town. I figure I will pay off my HDTV in 25 years.

Just kidding. I took advantage of the free financing at Ultimate Electronics. I took the 6-months no payments no interest. I have the money but I will casually pay off my set in a few months.

· Registered
224 Posts
I would avoid using a "same as cash" option if possible. Your contract is typically through a finance company. Your credit rating may be lowered because loans through finance companies are viewed as "higher risk" than loans through banks. Plus you're adding one more debt to your credit report, which can adversely affect your rating.

I would make sure that the "same as cash" option is financed through a bank rather than a finance company before deciding to go that route.

· Registered
21,221 Posts
I paid for mine with my MasterCard "Dividend Card," which pays me an amount equal to 1% of what I have purchased every quarter -- so long as I pay as agreed.

· Registered
81 Posts
I actually used the same as cash option through BB.

18 months same as cash, I'm paying off 200+ a month, so I will have it done well before the 18 moths are up.

I know I need to keep up on this, and NEVER miss a payment or go over. That stupid high interest rate sucks and would defeat the purpose

I keep a good eye on my credit and it hasn't adversly effected it.

· Registered
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by canaugle
I would avoid using a "same as cash" option if possible. Your contract is typically through a finance company. Your credit rating may be lowered because loans through finance companies are viewed as "higher risk" than loans through banks. Plus you're adding one more debt to your credit report, which can adversely affect your rating.

I would make sure that the "same as cash" option is financed through a bank rather than a finance company before deciding to go that route.
Where did you get this info? Most companies are interested in your FICO score, nto who you owe. Increasing your debt can adversely affect your credit though.

btw I paid for mine at Costco with a personal check.

· Banned
10,928 Posts
I use VISA for almost every purchase I make, for Internet shopping and to pay my bills on-line whenever possible. I pay off the balance each month to avoid the finance charge.

Discretionary purchases are just that... If you can't afford to buy a "toy" out-right, I suggest you don't.

Never take on debt unless:

1) It's an emergency and unavoidable.

2) To acquire an asset that will appreciate in value (e.g. a house).

3) A necessary and expensive item (e.g. a car)

4) An investment in your (or your child's) education.

TV's are toys... nice toy's.

· Registered
638 Posts
Retention Bonus CASH - for two HDTVs.

Both times at over $1000 below the asking price which in one case was already $1000 below MSRP.

Cash is key to successful negotiation.

jb

· Registered
251 Posts
I once ran into a problem when I paid cash for an AV receiver (approximately $1000.00), which was defective out of the box. When I returned it, the same AV receiver was out of stock. The store did not have "enough cash" in the register for a refund and I had to wait 10 days for a check issued to me (I did receive it, but did not have cash in hand to purchase another receiver). The receiver was far less in price than 46+ inch HDTV's. I have since made electronic purchases with my VISA (if I have the money in the bank and can pay the CC bill when I receive the statement), which would allow an "easy" refund if there was a problem with a defective unit.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.