AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is all documented elsewhere, but there have been a few folks questioning the ease of this process.

Let's assume your PC and RTV4k is on a cheap Linksys or D-Link Router (which I think is the most common setup) and you're using SwapDV.

Exactly what do you do to get shows from your 4k to archive them on your PC?

Exactly what do you do to put it back on the 4k to view it? (Or can you only stream them back to the box)

Can you do it all from the Replay remote?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have the linksys router. I run swapdv on my computer. I say browse available replays. I right click on the show and choose download. Then it's on my computer. To view from replay, on replay guide press up until you get to the very top where it says "this replay" press right or left until it finds your computer, the guide should now list what videos your computer has. Super easy.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
foundation described it well enough.

I tried to look for a way to put a show back on the Replay from SwapDV, but it looks as if you can only stream.

I have had dropouts during streaming. I think sometimes it's from small defects in the mpg file on the computer from the initial transfer and sometimes it's just the fact that I'm running between my linksys router and a hub. I'm tempted to try hoooking it up directly to the computer and see if it works perfectly that way or not.

·
Registered
127 Posts
make sure you're running at 100mbts not 10mbts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The hub is half duplex and shared 10Mb (most likely 10Mb). Even a cheap $50 10/100 switch will be a huge and simple improvement on your whole network. Even your equipment at 10 Mb will benefit because each device will have the ability to use up to the full 10 Mb. You can still use the hub cascaded off the switch if you need extra ports for devices where you don't mind having 10 Mb shared bandwidth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
I know this is all documented elsewhere, but there have been a few folks questioning the ease of this process.

Let's assume your PC and RTV4k is on a cheap Linksys or D-Link Router (which I think is the most common setup) and you're using SwapDV.

Exactly what do you do to get shows from your 4k to archive them on your PC?

Exactly what do you do to put it back on the 4k to view it? (Or can you only stream them back to the box)

Can you do it all from the Replay remote?
Currently with SwapDV you can only stream back to your 4k to view it. The IVS protocol would have to be implemented in SwapDV to have the ability to actually send the whole show back to the 4k.

The initial transfer of the show from the 4k to SwapDV can only be initiated from the SwapDV software, I believe. It would be a cool feature on SwapDV if you could choose a Replay4k box and click on "Auto-archive all shows from this Replay" and just have it poll for new shows every once in a while and "mirror" them. AFAIK, this feature hasn't been implemented yet.

After a show has been transferred to SwapDV, the watching of the show on a 4k device is all done using your 4k remote by streaming it from SwapDV.

·
Registered
702 Posts
When I was doing packet capture for jtl, I replaced my 10/100 switch with a 100 hub, and I got dropouts, but with the switch it's perfect.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foundation
When I was doing packet capture for jtl, I replaced my 10/100 switch with a 100 hub, and I got dropouts, but with the switch it's perfect.
That's interesting. Unless you have a very busy network the 100Mb should more than enough bandwidth. So Full Duplex is more important for streaming than I first thought. There might be an autonegotiation issue or the Replays really want full duplex to stream properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.