AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be putting together a new system in the very near future. I've pretty much already decided on the sub and receiver:

-Onkyo TX-SR604

-HSU VTF-2 MkIII

But I've been considering different options as far as speakers go. I'm very interested in the HTD Level 2 bookshelfs/center (and I'll probably try out the middies just for the heck of it
) and was leaning towards that route when I decided to take a look at the AV123 X-series speakers.

The specs look impressive, and I've heard good things about Peerless drivers (I was considering doing the AR.com thing until I saw how expensive it would end up being). The downside is that I'd end up spending about $100 more if I went with the AV's,
and I'd like to keep the damage to my wallet as low as possible (college student)

What is everyone's opinion regarding these two speaker lines?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon72 /forum/post/0

II've heard good things about Peerless drivers (I was considering doing the AR.com thing until I saw how expensive it would end up being).

That would be Peerless India....not the same as Peerless in Denmark that has the reputation you speak of.

I have not heard the Level 2, but I have heard the X-LS....a good speaker for the money. To erase doubt, you should compare the two.

If you are looking at the Hsu sub already...you should also consider a package deal with Hsu's HB-1 speaker.

Peerless India
Peerless

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I personally don't care where the drivers are made.... I care how they SOUND when integrated together in a speaker.

While I've not heard the HTD's, I HAVE auditioned the X-LS and found them VERY NICE for the money. They just won budget speaker of the year at AUDIOHOLICS and the X-LS along with the X-Sub also won Product of the Year awards at GOODSOUND .

But, all of that and a hill of beans still doesn't mean SQUAT. It all comes down to what YOU like and how they sound to YOU. You should audition them for yourself in your home on your gear. Even better if you compare them side by side.

Why not order a pair of both, audition them side by side for the 30 day trial period and return the ones you don't feel are the best. I think the shipping on the HTD's is free and on the X-LS, very minimal. Certainly less than a tank of gas I would think. Well worth it to find out for SURE which YOU prefer no?

Besides, you may find that neither one really floats your boat. Wouldn't you rather find that out BEFORE buying a complete system? I know that I would.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's too bad about the drivers, I got excited there for a little bit. If av123 and HSU both have trial periods for their speakers I might as well try out htd, av123 and HSU bookshelfs

I noticed HSU uses horn drivers - does that mean they have a bright sound like klipsch?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
May I quietly step in to say that Peerless India is a SPECTACULAR source for drive units... and while I hesitate to offer a lot here - most of the Tymphany Family of products are made in a State of The Art facility in China...

Both China and India are very good sources for drive units - and many World Class (let alone renown) products are made from drivers out of both of these countries and Taiwan as well...

I'm not in any way making any excuses - just quietly stating FACT. I've been on the Assembly Line(s) of VIFA China (many times) and have seen wonderful results from their Peerless lines there as well as ScanSpeak...

Not trying in any way to pick a fight... but Peerless India is MY CHOICE because of their unit to unit quality...

Many drivers that are assumed to be made in Denmark flatly are not... I have a problem with that because of MISCONCEPTION that is often proffered from remarks like some of the ones I see here... I have asked that many of the written items we have on our current site and the new one coming be re-written so as to not mislead...

Thanks for listening...

All the best...

mls

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Mark...sorry if gave the wrong impression.

I just wanted to make sure the OP knew that the Peerless India and Peerless are actually two seperate companies with two different trademarks regardless of where the products are manufactured and that the two should be differentiated.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0

I just wanted to make sure the OP knew that the Peerless India and Peerless are actually two seperate companies with two different trademarks regardless of where the products are manufactured and that the two should be differentiated.

I'm sure MLS didn't take offense Curtis.... everyone is well aware of your good intensions.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever /forum/post/0

But where they're made (and more importantly the workers who make them) can affect how they sound.

Which is it? WHERE they are made, WHO made them.... or lest we forget, which DAY of the week they were made on?

EVERY single aspect of the production "affects" HOW the driver sounds....
  • How it was designed and engineered
  • The quality of the materials it was constructed from
  • The plant in which it was constructed
  • The quality of the machinery used in production
  • The "attitude" of the person doing the work
  • The QC in the production process
  • How carefully they are packaged for shipping
  • And on and on and on....

All part and parcel of the production process. To "imply" that someone trying to provide a living for their family or ANY of the above at a production facility in INDIA is somehow inferior to a good 'ol USA or DENMARK factory or worker is naive at best.

We are rapidly becoming a global economy. Even products "manufactured" in the USA are done so with parts from China, Taiwan, South Korea or where ever. MANY USA manufacturers have also gone over seas for parts simply because they are BETTER than what is produced here.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Schifter /forum/post/0

May I quietly step in to say that Peerless India is a SPECTACULAR source for drive units... and while I hesitate to offer a lot here - most of the Tymphany Family of products are made in a State of The Art facility in China...

The wording here makes it easy for a reader to mistakenly think Peerless India is part of Tymphany. Peerless India is not part of Tympany.

·
Registered
832 Posts
MLS,

These tweeter posts are a little off the thread topic, but you guys found a QC issue with the tweeter in the X-LS and have stepped up to the plate(I am sure at a great cost) and replaced them.

How do we know as a consumer that things will get caught regardless of the manufacturer?

Where the XL-S tweeters manufactured by Peerless?

I understand they were only down about .5db.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

Quote:

I totally totally understand my friend...

Let me take you to Mumbai and show you how we "do it" there...

BTW... Coming to LA in February for "reviewer stuff" (Mini Strata)... I vote for lunch in the South Bay or Westwood again...

Best as always...

mls

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/0

Which is it? WHERE they are made, WHO made them.... or lest we forget, which DAY of the week they were made on?

EVERY single aspect of the production "affects" HOW the driver sounds....
  • How it was designed and engineered
  • The quality of the materials it was constructed from
  • The plant in which it was constructed
  • The quality of the machinery used in production
  • The "attitude" of the person doing the work
  • The QC in the production process
  • How carefully they are packaged for shipping
  • And on and on and on....

All part and parcel of the production process. To "imply" that someone trying to provide a living for their family or ANY of the above at a production facility in INDIA is somehow inferior to a good 'ol USA or DENMARK factory or worker is naive at best.

We are rapidly becoming a global economy. Even products "manufactured" in the USA are done so with parts from China, Taiwan, South Korea or where ever. MANY USA manufacturers have also gone over seas for parts simply because they are BETTER than what is produced here.

John...I agree with you on all points.

Peerless and Peerless India are two different companies with two different trademarks. The reputation that the OP referred to is that of Peerless. In this respect, I am sure each company would like to keep their merits seperate.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:

I totally totally understand my friend...

Let me take you to Mumbai and show you how we "do it" there...

BTW... Coming to LA in February for "reviewer stuff" (Mini Strata)... I vote for lunch in the South Bay or Westwood again...

Best as always...

mls

Mark...that Strata Mini is going to do well!

Lunch would be great if you can swing it.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z /forum/post/0

MLS,

These tweeter posts are a little off the thread topic, but you guys found a QC issue with the tweeter in the X-LS and have stepped up to the plate(I am sure at a great cost) and replaced them.

How do we know as a consumer that things will get caught regardless of the manufacturer?

Thanks for your post...

Well... I have to admit that it's hard... I have an analog Rat Shack meter that STILL works well - and when I'm home I have Clio (7) or easier still - Liberty Audio Suites PRAXIS (really a cool Windows based testing and measurement system)...

I might recommend the meter approach with one of several test discs available out there... I can recommend some if you need me to help here...

The tweeter issue at av123 DID cost dearly (cost of doing business sometimes) and frankly most have commented that they did not hear much difference... a few folks DID SAY it helped a lot (here's where I use the ole "YMMV")...

Our worst case was down about 1.5dB - but most were down significantly less. This is an OVERALL OUTPUT unit of measure... This all had to do with our Chinese Based vendor not properly charging the magnets on a large run of tweeters... Our DAAS test window allowed for this to pass unfortunately. (We use the German DAAS test system in China)...

I wish to also state that recently we had a customer find two speakers that has their tweeters wired out of phase. (This is why my beard is getting grey)... I commented recently that we need to update our measurement and test system in China so we can detect this better...

ALL x series speakers from last month forward (except for some Piano Rosewood) will now built and tested in our new factory in Cali, Colombia - and THERE we do have Clio... I know this will help a bunch...

Hope this helped explain matters...

Most humbly...

mark

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z /forum/post/0

MLS,

I might not have been clear enough after reading my own reply post...

The tweeter in x-ls is made in China...

Good Vendor - GREAT GUY (his English name is Nick BTW...) This is a very large company making drive units for many well known brands...

All the best...

mls

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

Quote:

Mark...that Strata Mini is going to do well!

Lunch would be great if you can swing it.

Done deal...

Looking forward to this... if only I was in better shape - I'd ask you for a tennis lesson (I played Varsity in High School - a L O N G Time ago)...

All the best...

mls

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:

Done deal...

Looking forward to this... if only I was in better shape - I'd ask you for a tennis lesson (I played Varsity in High School - a L O N G Time ago)...

All the best...

mls

Umm...nowadays, if you are using me as a gauge, you do not need to be in that good of shape.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good Lord Mark. I am in the market for some speakers and a buiddy of mine can get me Pinnacle at a very good price. Being brand new at all this I just clicked on and looked at your speakers. The Rosewood looks great! I will now have to give your speakers a good look and read the forum further.

Thanks so much for confusing me even more.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.