AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to HDTV's. I used to own a 36" Toshiba CRT. When I downloaded a DivX or Xvid movie or TV show from the net, burned it to a DVD in its original DivX or XviD format, and played it on my 36" CRT TV with my DivX/XviD compatible DVD player it looked great!


I haven't set everything up yet with my new Sony 46" 1080i HD LCD, so I was wondering what to expect. I ask because standard definition 480i TV programs look terrible on my LCD, but 720p & 1080i programs look great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
well most divx's and xvids are equivalent of 480i / 576 i at the max (ie dvd quality)


on a hd tv, you will need to use some sort of upscaler if you want half decent quality otherwise what you see will be similar to your tv signal.


phillips have a dvd player that does upscaling and can play divx / xvids.. .other option is to use xbox 360 or PS3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitd /forum/post/15505182


phillips have a dvd player that does upscaling and can play divx / xvids

Will any DVD player that upscales regular DVD's to 1080p also automatically upscale an XviD or Divx download to 1080p? I do have a 1080p LCD TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
My dvd player upscaled to 1080i and it looked pretty good. It's not Blu-Ray, but how can anything free look bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural /forum/post/15512769


I stream them to my PS3/360 and they look fine to me. I only have a 37inch LCD though it may look much worse on a larger HDTV.

Do you stream wirelessly? Is it smooth playback? Do you use Tversity.com?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Divx looks terrible. I would suggest ripping your Bluray movies and encoding them in MKV at either 720p or 1080p. You will be looking at movies between 6GB and 14GB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
So how then do the 720 and 1080 mkv's look? That's all I dl but I'm only using a 22" monitor. What about these on a 50"+ screen, do they still maintain their quality no prob?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoopla /forum/post/15504739


I'm new to HDTV's. I used to own a 36" Toshiba CRT. When I downloaded a DivX or Xvid movie or TV show from the net, burned it to a DVD in its original DivX or XviD format, and played it on my 36" CRT TV with my DivX/XviD compatible DVD player it looked great!


I haven't set everything up yet with my new Sony 46" 1080i HD LCD, so I was wondering what to expect. I ask because standard definition 480i TV programs look terrible on my LCD, but 720p & 1080i programs look great.

Western Digital TV is a cheap and good option with an HDMI output to boot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis /forum/post/15527951


So how then do the 720 and 1080 mkv's look? That's all I dl but I'm only using a 22" monitor. What about these on a 50"+ screen, do they still maintain their quality no prob?

I have a 1080p FP and a 9 foot wide screen, and they still look excellent.


BTW, I sit 10' from the screen.



Art
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoopla /forum/post/15511693


Will any DVD player that upscales regular DVD's to 1080p also automatically upscale an XviD or Divx download to 1080p? I do have a 1080p LCD TV.


well it has to support playback of divx and xvids to upscale it first..


the quality of upscaling depends on the xvid / divx file. the higher the encoding quality the better is the upscaling and the overall output.


I use xbox 360 to upscale and play on 46" samsung hdtv and it plays beautifully. I tend to use homeplug rather than wireless as bandwidth can be an issue.


also most players dont support mkv unless you are going to make yourself a good media center pc.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top