AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can somebody advise me about the best way to add a second modem to Comcast Internet? I need the primary modem to stay upstairs for work, but I need to add a second modem downstairs for a direct Ethernet connection to the PS3. My son competes in online car races races (sometimes 24 hour races) and any interruption of internet kicks him out of the race. I've tried Wifi extenders (laggy and not reliable) and "powerline" Ethernet extenders (less lag, but more random interruptions than WiFi). He has no disconnect issues when I run an 80 foot Ethernet cable from upstairs to the PS3, so there is no issue with Internet capacity or speed, but the WAF of the 80-foot cable is extremely low.

Can I can buy and install equipment on my own to do this or do I need to involve Comcast? I had Comcast at the house last week to replace a cable box, but they couldn't give me any information about adding a second Internet modem.

Thank you,
Peter

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Run the Ethernet cable in the walls for higher WAF.

You can get the keystone jacks and wall plates at the Home Depot for next to nothing. All you have to to do is fish the wire through the hollow walls, or along the HVAC return duct.

Second modem will require a second fee for the internet.

You may also want to look into running MoCA over the existing coax wires.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Run the Ethernet cable in the walls for higher WAF.

You can get the keystone jacks and wall plates at the Home Depot for next to nothing. All you have to to do is fish the wire through the hollow walls, or along the HVAC return duct.

Second modem will require a second fee for the internet.

You may also want to look into running MoCA over the existing coax wires.
Thank you for the reply and huge apologies for not replying sooner -- I just saw your message. My assumption has been that running wire through the walls from upstairs to downstairs is going to be near impossible, but I have to admit I haven't taken a serious look at what would be required, so I will look into that a bit more.

I am not familiar with MoCA at all, so I will check into that also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts