AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want more than that, we need to know what LNB's /switches you are currently using so we can give you good advice.

Thanks for the info! I currently have a dish 500 with dual LNB's pointing to satellites 110 & 119. There are 2 SW21's connecting the 2 signals.

Can the Dish 6000 received all the programming from all 3 satellites? I think I read somewhere that it can with an SW44(?).

Also, I only have one cable going to the back of the Mits. Could I use a splitter on the satellite signal to get it to both the DishPlayer and 6000?

·
Registered
475 Posts
> Can the Dish 6000 received all the programming from all 3 satellites? I think I read somewhere that it can with an SW44(?).

You would need an SW64 to bring in the signal from all three satellites - This would also allow you to output to up to four receivers.

>Also, I only have one cable going to the back of the Mits. Could I use a splitter on the satellite signal to get it to both the DishPlayer and 6000?

As far as I know, you can't split that signal without using a switch - The SW64 would help you do this as well, but the downside is a separate cable run into the house from the switch on the outside.

Good luck!

Roddie - Not a satellite installer, but I play one at home.

[This message has been edited by roddie (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can cascade the SW-44 with SW-21s, so that is an alternative to buying an SW-64. Another possibility is replacing your two dual LNBs with a twin LNB (you can use one of the duals on the Dish 300). This limits you to two receivers, but IMHO, is a simpler, cheaper, and more reliable solution, assuming you can live with the two receiver limit.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
jhue is off in left field for your situation (sorry, but that's the truth) about switching to the TWIN for you.

Since you (thankfully) already have 2 Dual LNB's for your Dish500, you have a couple of options -

#1 - Like Roddie suggested - get a SW64. This also means that your 148 dish is also a Dual LNB. All cables would go from the LNB's to the input side of the SW64. Then one cable from the SW64 output side to EACH receiver (you can't split satellite signals)

#2 - Get a SW44. Run the cables from the Dish500 to the SW44. Put the one for your 6000 on #2 or 3 (not #1), going to a SW21. The other input of the SW21 comes from your 148 dish. The output of the SW21 goes to your 6000.

Both the SW44 and the SW64 are powered switches, and they are both fed from a power insertor going into port 1.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought a new 65" Mits and wanted to know how to integrate it into my existing system. I currently have a Dishplayer connected to the Mits and 4900 model on our second TV.

What is needed to add a Dish 6000? I already have the small dish sitting in my garage waiting to be used . My ideal setup would be to keep both the DishPlayer and the 6000 connected to the Mits.

Would I have to add the receiver to my account ($4.99)? What is 8vsb and is it worth getting? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Yes - you will pay another $4.95/month to add the Dish6000.

The 8vsb module is what will allow the Dish 6000 to receive terrestrial TV signals, both analog (NTSC) and ATSC (the upcoming DTV / HDTV). The 8vsb can also tune analog cable channels (up to 99).

Hooking up the 6000 to satellite - what do you want to accomplish ?

If all you want is Dish HD offerings on the 6000, then simply hook the extra dish directly to the 6000 (point the extra dish to either 61.5 or 148).

If you want more than that, we need to know what LNB's /switches you are currently using so we can give you good advice. Get some of this from your current recievers from the "Multi dish setup screen" after you perform a switch test. Telling us what switch each receiver says should be enough.

Output to the Mits from the 6000 - get an answer from somebody that has this combination already. The 6000 has both RGBHV and component video outputs, as well as NTSC S-Video / composite outputs. You can only use HD outputs or the SD outputs - not both at the same time. It will also up/down convert as necessary.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.