AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G11 and CI scaler. I am inputting HDTV (Dish 6000) to 1080i, G11 component input and running the CI to computer 2.

I don't have Dilard, but do have VE on LD and AIVA on DVD. I am using a 3 X 4 screen.

How do I properly adjust the pixel tracking on my G11, with what I have at my disposal? Also I'm not exactly sure what the results are suppose to be.

Is there a way to know if I have pinpoint pixel alignment?

Thanks Don

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Milori,

Thanks for the response.

Much of the ignorance regarding my original question is based on being a very new user of the D-ILA type projector. I previously had an LCD projector. I am trying to understand what the two options under "PIXEL CLOCK" do.

This is what I think the function is.

"PIXEL CLOCK" only is effective for the computer inputs?
  • "TRACKING" (left and right arrow) is used to get all the pixels to show up on the screen for the selected resolution. Set left side and make sure all the pixels appear looking at right side as adjustment is made. I guess I could use a grid pattern on the AIVA
  • "PHASE" This I don’t really understand. From the manual it appears to be more of a pixel alignment control for that aligns the pixels to each other in each of the R,G,B panel.

Still learning, but really like the D-ILA technology. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Don

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Don,

Welcome to the DILA club. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Pixel clock settings do affect different sources and inputs. It's not quite as noticable on lower resolutions, and actually it's harder to get a setting that APPEARS to be correct with a setting such as 640 x 480, but there definitely are correct/exact phase and tracking settings for the computer inputs. I'm not too sure about the component inputs on the DILA.

When we use HTPCs and the Mark Rehjons bmp. or Dilards wizard, we can set these to right on the money with the computer inputs, as long as it's a computer signal. A Hi Def signal is a little tougher because we don't really have a pattern to adjust it to.

I'm currently searching for the *right* settings for my DTC signal. Mostly it has to be by eye. I think I'll put up a poll post of what everyone elses settings are at.

If your CI is putting out a 1360(?) x 768 resolution, your tracking should need to be around 23/24, and your phase near 0, assuming the signal from the CI is close to that of the PC.

Chris

[This message has been edited by CCLAY (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
755 Posts
The tracking/phase for every source will be different so you can't take settings that work for a HTPC and apply them to other sources. Even between HTPC's different video cards or PowerStrip timings will require different tracking/phase settings.

Tracking is the same as the horizontal stretch control on a computer monitor. The goal is to stretch the image so it perfectly fits the panel. It interacts with the horizontal position control so you'll have to play with both at the same time to get the image positioned and stretched correctly.

Phase is a fine tune adjustment to the tracking which is used to stabilize the image. Using a pattern with fine vertical lines or text you should be able to use the phase control to eliminate any shimmering. It's best to walk right up to the screen to see if the pixels are stable or not.

With the CI set to 1360 horizontal pixels you should be able to use the tracking and phase to get a pixel perfect mapping just by stretching the image to fill the panel and then fine tuning the phase. You don't need a 1360x768 test pattern, but it does make it a bit easier to see if the size is off.

With HDTV the scaler is downconverting 1920x1080 to 1365x768, so there is no "pixel-perfect" mapping. The best you can do with the phase/tracking is to stretch the image to fill the panel.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Dave is right.

I forget to mention these things now that I have gone completely to the HTPC for all video feeds (even for HDTV).

Thanks for mentioning that.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Don,

I don't think that you can do it with VE or AVIA. Since those are DVDs, they don't have the resolution to display a black/white checkerboard pattern at the D-ILA resolution to set the tracking/phase correctly.

You could hook up a computer and then click START|SHUT-DOWN to display the dithered checkerboard pattern. You then use your remote on the projector to adjust tracking/phase until the picture is the most stable.

You can also mathematically calculate Tracking, but only if you have a lot of knowledge about the incoming source. AFAIK, only PowerStrip provides the level of detail about a source to mathematically determine Tracking, and that is, of course, only for computer sources.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys,

This was the type of information I was looking for. I kind of suspected that I was going to have to adjust pixel tracking for different G11 inputs but wasn't sure. By the way i am using a 3X4, 100" diagonal screen. Looks like I have some work ahead of me.

Don

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Sands,

Each time you switch sources, your Tracking & Phase will switch with them. In other words, in 1360 x 768 your tracking might be T=24, P=0. When you switch to 640 x 480(usually VGA3), your ideal T/P might be T=0, P=24.

When you change sources each time, initially the T/P will need to be adjusted by using the Dilard Wizard, the Mark R.s perfect timings post, or the Windows shut down screen.

After the first round of adjustments, you shouldn't have to do them again.

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
CCLAY,

If I understand you correctly, I need to adjust the tracking and phase for each output setting. I'm assuming that the G11 stores this info and switches it automatically when I change sources. Is this right?

------------------

[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.