AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, new poster,

I have component cables running through my walls to my Mitsubishi 720p projector. I Just bought a Denon 988 receiver so I am going to switch over to a HDMI cable so that my upconverted standard dvds have full 720p. I have to run the HDMI cable on the outside of the wall so I bought one of the Atlona Flat (paintable)HDMI cables. How do I attach the flat cable to the drywall? Glue it??

·
Registered
935 Posts
Gluing it is certainly one option. I've seen some cables that were only meant to be attached to walls or ceilings. These had sticky backed tape on one edge. This not the case with the Atlonas. They're flat because Atlona thinks that makes for a better cable. That point is probably debatable, but the ability to also attach it to the wall or ceiling is a nice feature. But "how?" is a good question. If you glue it, that installation is effectively permanent. Pulling it off would do harm to both the drywall and the cable. I would probably end up gluing it, but first I'd give Atlona a call to see what they recommend.

Jim

But first, I would be certain I couldn't run the cable through the wall. You'd be surprised how easy it is sometimes. Of course, it's also virtually impossible sometimes as well.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If you don't want to glue it, look for flat cable clamps/clips. I am looking for the same solution for flat component cable. I had to install it after the fact because the cable box and receiver don't work well together converting from component to hdmi. I am not going to open the ceiling up to go across 10+ joists pendicular to the cable run.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you have component cables already running through the wall AND if you don't need them anymore (since you are doing hdmi); why not do a pull through -- i.e. tie/tape the hdmi cable to the component cables and pull the component cables out on one end; the hdmi cable is thinner than the three combined so it should move through easily.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm doing something similar and am planning on using double sided tape from Home Depot. I've used the stuff before and if you are gentle (when it comes time to remove the cable) you can remove the tape from the wall and cable without any damage ... just take your time.

The tape is usually in the paint section of Home Depot, it's the white one (not heavy duty) and comes in rolls that you can cut to size. It might take a while to do since you'll have to cut a whole bunch of pieces and attach them to the cable and wall, but it gives things a nice finished look that's removable if need be.

Hope that helps,

Harry

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
If colour of the cable is an issue and you don't want to paint over the cables, then you can put them in paintable white rectangular cable conduits .

BTW, the internal depth of those wire conduits is 9.5 mm, so you could actually put two of those Athona cables in there, one on top of the other. Width shouldn't be a problem, since IIRC the external width is 2.5 mm, which means the internal width should be around 20 mm. The conduits come pre-stickified with sticky tape. Furthermore, you can open and close them whenever you want, should you want to add/change a cable later.

·
Registered
121 Posts
in addition to those conduits, check Home Depot, they make larger conduits that are hinged... they say they are "chair rail" wire management systems. I used one vertically in our workout room to run up to a swing mounted LCD. Pretty slick overall.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Yeah, you can get all sorts of stick-on (as well as screw-in) conduits, but the one I linked would specifically fit the cables he got. They're available at Home Depot and elsewhere.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at the conduit and double sided tape today at Home depot. They both look like they should work well. I think I am going to try the tape first since the conduit is $10-$15 per 5 ft section. When I ran the component cables I also ran a string through the wall for later pull through, but I tried pulling it and it seemed to be stuck along with all 3 cables. The problem is The cables take 5 hard turns and snake through a bunch of floor joists and insulation. The big connector on this HDMI would probably rip the insulation as it went through and then not fit through the holes I drilled inside the walls. I bought 40ft of tape so I can literally run it the entire length of the cable. I may have to use a short piece of conduit on the ceiling the soffit wall because the texture wont hold tape. Thanks for the suggestions.

J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts