AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just so there's no confusion as we go along, let me make it clear that I'm an idiot. Or at least I feel like one until things sink in a bit. And even though I've been hanging out here for quite some time I still have basic questions about using a HTPC. I just ordered a Gateway 700XL system. I was going to build my own system but gave up on that when I decided to make it a high-end system for gaming and video/audio processing and of course HTPC.

Anyway, the highlights of the 700XL are:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.06GHz w/ Hyper-Threading Technology

512MB RDRAM® PC1066

200GB UATA100 7200RPM Hard Drive w/ 8MB Performance Enhancing Cache

DVD-RAM/DVD-R Drive and 48x/24x/48x CDRW

Microsoft® Office XP Small Business (which I'm immediately going to upgrade to XP Pro)

128MB ATI Radeon 9700G PRO AGP Graphics Accelerator with TV Out and DVI

Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Optical Mouse

SoundBlaster Audigy Audio w/ IEEE 1394 (FireWire) and Pinnacle Expression

(On a side note, Gateway added a 300S Value PC to my order for FREE).

I have an old (1993 manufacture date) Zenith PV890X front projector. It has the basic F-connector and RC connector inputs. (I can attach a diagram from the manual if that helps).

So, my questions are, can I connect the PC to the projector? Do I need any adaptors or modifications? What additional hardware/software do I need?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated and respected greatly.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Fast system. Obviously, you're not that much of an idiot.

Depends on whether the zenith has RGB input. I assume it does. A diagram would help.

Also, it would help to know some additional specs on the zenith. Specifically, scan rate, refresh rate, etc

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit
Depends on whether the zenith has RGB input. I assume it does.
Splain RGB. If you mean separate inputs for red, green, blue then I'd say it doesn't. It's an old projector and only has the basic F-connector connections and the standard video, left and right audio connections.

Quote:
Originally posted by work permit
A diagram would help. Also, it would help to know some additional specs on the zenith. Specifically, scan rate, refresh rate, etc
I'll scan the manual's diagram tonight and post it. I don't recall if the manual states the scan rate and refresh rate. I'll supply what I can find. My first concern is how to feed the video to the projector.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The bad news is, you'll never get decent video out of that projector. Without either a VGA input or 5 BNC connectors for RGBHV (Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal synch, Vertical synch), you're looking at projecting 480i (plain ol' NTSC TV signal) which looks like HE11 when projected/enlarged.

The good news is that a good projector can be had for $500 - $1000. The CRT forum is a good place to start.

BTW- all the added networking features of XP Pro vs. XP Home are of little value in an HTPC. The same could be said for an SB Audigy. ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on what Elvis said, there's no need for me to post the diagram. Bummer that there isn't a way to connect to the projector. I see in the manual that there was an optional "RGB Edge Connector" that allowed for an S connection (Zenith S43 S-VHS Adaptor). It appears to be some type of large unit that attaches to the front or back of the projector. Damned if I've ever seen one and the drawing is so basic there isn't any detail. It gives me hope though that maybe there is a way to adapt the inputs.

work permit, I searched the Operating Guide and there is no info on scan rates and refresh rates. As noted before this is an old projector. The operating guide is very basic.

In a way I'd hate to discard the projector. It works as well as it can and I know my wife would feel it a waste of money to not use it and buy a new projector. Still, I'll do some searching in the CRT forum and see what CRT may be available and perhaps get a feeling for what I could sell this Zenith for.

·
Registered
918 Posts
A G1000 just went for under $2k in the classified section of the forum. A very good picture indeed and easily driven from a PC. (In fact, best if driven at native rate).

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim in Cincy
In a way I'd hate to discard the projector. It works as well as it can and I know my wife would feel it a waste of money to not use it...
Jim- consider this...

BTW - an S-input is not a lot better - it's still 480i.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ElvisIncognito
Jim- consider this...
Nice idea, and I'm sure you scored points with the wifey. Maybe there will be a use for my Zenith.

Quote:
Originally posted by ElvisIncognito
BTW - an S-input is not a lot better - it's still 480i.
Thanks for the info. So, I guess there is no way whatsoever to adapt the Zenith?

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the Zenith projects at 10' diagonally and I'm hoping that with a HTPC I could do a constant height of 5' and 11.75' width (at 2:35 to 1). And if I'm going to buy a new projector a high-definition CRT would be ideal. Any deals out there (not that I'm trying to be cheap)??

Mark, thanks for the info. That would be the "Special Deals and Sales Area" wouldn't it? I'll need to pay to look around there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.