AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this somewhere earlier but i guesses its better to post it here. Really need inputs from you guys.

Anyone had any improvements in PQ using DVE (or any other calibration methods) on your 4805? I've only used the THX optimizer for basic calibration but I'm not entirely satisfied with the results. I became more dissatisfied when at a recent local AV fair, I saw fantastic results when someone did a demonstration on a "professionally calibrated" 4805 and was way much better than the PQ that i have on my 4805! Both of our setups are the same and we're both just using component cables and a budget pioneer dvd player. However, the demo guy used a fixed Stewart 92" grey screen which I was told costs 20 times more than my Draper 92" roll down white screen. However, I'm sure with proper calibration, my PQ can improved much further without having to upgrade my screen. Can DVE really help much on the 4805? As far as i know the only stuff we can do from the 4805 remote is to adjust the contrast, brightness and colour (cbc). Is that all that DVE can do, help you to achieve the correct cbc to get optimum PQ on your screen? Which is the better calibration tools for 4805? DVE or AVIA?

I just want to get the most potential out of the 4805!!

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
You definately should get Avia and do some basic calibration.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't know either screen, but the screen can make a major difference as well. The screen has to match your viewing conditions (ambient light, viewing angle, PJ mounting position, PJ lumens, PJ contrast, etc.)

For example, a 1.8 high gain gray screen will look very different (for better or worse) than a 1.0 gain matte white screen.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've heard that DVE has better tests, but is a little difficult to navigate, and AVIA is pretty user friendly, but doesn't include some test (like BTB).

I have DVE, and I think it's great! You really need to know the controls on your DVD player to navigate the disc, but once you get it down, the disc works great. I would recommend ordering the THX glasses for the color calibration, the little card that they include in the DVE is a bit small.

-Sean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I actually heard that matte white screen creates a brighter picture while grey screen results in better contrast.

Sean, how much improvement did DVE had on your picture quality? What are THX glasses?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Since the 4805 ships so well calibrated as far as color, I don't think you'll get much of a revelation from the ISF treatment...certainly not to the extent other models might benefit. Contrast/brightness adjustments from something like that THX disc get you much of what it's got to give, certainly you can give DVE a run also. Light control will have a far greater effect. Also, an ND2 filter will improve perceived blacks, as will the grey screen..

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
If you are into the DIY thing, you may also want to keep an eye out on the SpyderTV. It should be capable of handling FP this fall.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I agree with Jack, light control, and screen type will have a great affect on your PQ. I also agree with the fact that the Infocus 4805 comes shipped very well calibrated, but every room is different and every user different. Some people like a brighter picture than others.

At any rate, I would deffinetly pick up a ND2 filter. That more than anything really helped with my black levels. I'm using a DIY screen made from BlackOut cloth from JoAnn Fabrics. The DVE just dialed in the PJ when I got everything setup. I think the picture quality was much better after DVE. I'm using component cables and running 480i and letting the 4805 Farjouda(sp) chip do it's job. After calibration, my wife said the picture was 3D looking, and crystal clear (we were watching "The Incredibles")

THe THX glasses are blue shaded glasses (like 3D glasses only both are blue), and you can order them from THX.com for like $2. You don't need to do this, but if you pick up DVE and find the little card they give you hard to use, order the THX ones!

-Sean

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the THX ones. I had those before I got DVE and the blue filter in DVE is much much better despite its size.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. I actually heard that matte white screen creates a brighter picture while grey screen results in better contrast.
No, gray screen does not improve on/off contrast. People have this common misconception. It improves black level by reducing the amound of light reflected by the fact that it's gray and not white, but it also lowers the white level by equal amount, basically making your image dimmer overall. This can help with a projector that's too bright to help you achieve a good black level but you are still lowering your white.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ja Phule,

I recommended the THX glasses after I mentioned that my color was a little off in the green catagory, and another user said that the blue filter included with the DVE was a little off and that I should get the THX one's. I have to admit I never ordered the THX glasses, because honestly i think my color was pretty good, and I was trying to compare my 4805 screen during a football game to a 20" TV that sits in my lounge, and it seemed a little off. But when I watch the PJ byitself i have no complaints.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Quote:
But when I watch the PJ byitself i have no complaints.
I agree! :)

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Learn how to use your THX test patterns. Don't get anal about the color decoding test pattern - you cannot adjust it anyways and the filters throw you off - just get color/tint right with the blue glasses. As look as Yellow, Magenta, and Cyan appear to be inbetween the Red, Green, Blue you have proper color balance.

You can get 90% of the Stewart Grey screen for a fraction of the price in the HighContrast DaLite or Draper materials. That will improve in-room ANSI contrast. If you are 92" and your lamp is new - throw on a ND2 filter from your camera store.

Instant improvement for a few hundred. Stop comparing to the TV's and before long you will realize it is your TV that is off.

I see you left out tint as an adjustment - lose the 480P connection and switch the DVD player to 480i. You will see great improvement.

Finally, if you can see your screen with the projector off and it is white - you have soom room tweaking to do.

I don't recommend self calibration of grey-scale - you cannot get it closer than it already is without proper instrumentation and training. That is not the case for other displays - but on Infocus I spend an hour deciding which few clicks change I will make.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.