AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have paired my Dukane 9015 Dila (calibrated by Richard Martin)with the Rock processor (Hellava processor! excellent images!) and I would like to have some guidance on calibration.

The Rock has a menu for calibration which include some 12 or so different patterns,colors,grids, etc., and I noticed during some of the white grid patterns over black background that the white lines have some hue of red/magenta to one side of the middle white, and some hue of blue/green at the other side of the white line. Obviously, I would like to adjust so that the lines are all white with no bleedover of the colors at either edges. I see this type of behavior in rear projection TV's where one alignes the guns, but in a solid state, digital projector how would I do this alignment??

Any Ideas???

Jaime

· Registered
707 Posts
The pixel shift function in the factory service software allows adjustment of 1/2 pixel vertically and horizontally of the R,G,B panels. The panels themselves are soldered in place and can not be realigned except by the factory. The error if it is not completely uniform across the screen will not be improved by shifting the image. For example if the error is Red shifted to the right by 1/2 pixel on the right side and it is less than that on the left side, then the shift in either direction will make the problem either worse or a mirror image of what you had.

In most cases the panels are adjusted as best as they can be at the factory in regard to pixel alignment. As you are viewing the test pattern with a cross hatch image projected at a very high resolution you will most likely never see these errors when viewing video. Minor issues when viewing computer generated static images would be barely noticeable. All of the projectors which I have seen thus far are well within 1/2 pixel misalignment although not perfect they are still acceptable. Virtually none of the projectors will have perfect registration of all three panels.

· Registered
4,525 Posts
A few clarifications to the above...

Quote:
Cliff wrote:
The pixel shift function in the factory service software allows adjustment of 1/2 pixel vertically and horizontally of the R,G,B panels.
The pixel shift function of the factory software allows adjustment of whole pixels only. This is the same as the Pixel Alignment Wizard in Dilard. At the end of this Wizard, it even specifically states that the panels can not be adjusted in fractional pixels electronically.

Quote:
In most cases the panels are adjusted as best as they can be at the factory in regard to pixel alignment.
I have never seen or heard of the panels being set to anything other than 0,0,0 horizontal and 0,0,0 vertical. The panels do not appear to be adjusted at the factory at all.

· Registered
842 Posts
Cliff, whatever you are smoking and drinking, i want some.

Must be real good.

Please explain how a digital device with fixed resolution

can move something in increments of double that resolution.

If you have a red pixel thats 1/4 pixel off on the left, and you

move it one pixel to the right, then its 3/4 pixel off on the right.

The distance moved is still one pixel.

· Registered
755 Posts
Quote:
In most cases the panels are adjusted as best as they can be at the factory in regard to pixel alignment.
I think Cliff's referring to the physical alignment of the panels when they're soldered into place, not the electronic adjustment available to Dilard.

I agree that the electronic pixel adjustment is pretty much useless since the mis-convergence is rarely uniform across the screen. In my case the centre is dead on, and the edges are misconverged in opposite directions.

Dave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.