AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. This is all pretty new to me and my first post so please take mercy. I've searched for what seems like hours and can't find exactly what I need to know. I was hoping someone could share a few things with me.

I recieved the Denon 1908 avr as a chirstmas gift and was hoping to get some insight on connecting it.

I would like to connect it to my Dish Network Sat. reciever (it has S-video and Red-White audio / Yellow video connections) and to a LCD tv with just about every connection on the back you can think of. I apologize if this seems simple but I really don;t know what the best way to connect this and get the most out of it would be. Any help is greatly apperciated.

· Registered
30,890 Posts
AFAIK, the instructions in the user's manual cover all that. Unfortunately, using the composite video (yellow) from the Dish box will get you pretty crummy video and using the analog stereo (red/white) will be quite limiting, too, but you may have to use those if they are your only option. Consider getting a newer Dish box with HDMI output to connect to the Denon.

Run HDMI from the Denon to your lcd.

· Registered
18,923 Posts
One option is to connect an HDMI cable from the 1908 to the TV. I would guess the 1908 has HDMI upconversion, so it can convert from analog from the dish. If the 1908 does support HDMI upconversion from S-Video, use the S-Video connection.

For cheap HDMI cables, try monoprice.com.

p.s. Make sure the 1908 does support analog to HDMI conversion before spending money on the cable.

· Registered
3,791 Posts
Getting a newer Dish receiver with HDMI connection will be a better long term solution... picture and sound from one cable

Until then, use the best video connection you have from the box which would be S-Vid and connect to your Denon on any Video input with S-Vid connector. Also run the analog Red-White sound cables to that same input. Sometime the Audio and video inputs are not grouped together...not sure about the Denon.

Turn the sound off or mute on the TV and always select that video input on the Denon for viewing. HDMI will greatly simplify things and deliver higher quality (although there are still handshake issues lurking out there.

Good Luck.

Looks like we were all writing at the same time.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I've tried to connect component (R,B,G) from the TV to the Reciever and S-video from the Sat. box to the reciever, but i got sound from another channel and the picture of a football game. I just can't seem to figure out which connection should be from what to where. Do I have to assign anything?

· Registered
3,791 Posts
It may be that you need to assign the input you were using. Each receiver out there defaults on certain inputs to an assigned device. If that conflicts with what you are doing then reassignment is necessary. To test, try a Video input like Vid 3 or Vid 4 which should be free of such defaults. Just remember to also run Audio to the same exact input. Start simple and keep the same cable types both in and out until you get this part figured out. Then you can take advantage of any transcoding or better...upconversion from the receiver.

· Registered
18,923 Posts
Sound from another channel? I am confused. Changing your video connection should not effect your sound.

Normally, you would not need to assign anything.

Let's take this one step at a time. I will assume your receiver can convert S-Video to component video as it sounds like that's what you expect to happen. And I believe most recent receivers should do this.

Choose an input. Lets' say you use something called CBL/SAT (I have no idea what your inputs are called.)

Plug the S-Video jack into the CBL/SAT S-Video jack. Plug the R/W audio cables to the CBL/SAT R/W audio jacks at the receiver. Using your manual, insure that you don't have any odd input mapping going on.

If your box has optical out, I would use that, by the way. I would connect the optical out from the box to the receiver's CBL/SAT optical input (staying with my example.)

Sounds like your component cables are correctly hooked up, or you would see no picture.

· Registered
30,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/15406714

It may be that you need to assign the input you were using. Each receiver out there defaults on certain inputs to an assigned device. If that conflicts with what you are doing then reassignment is necessary. To test, try a Video input like Vid 3 or Vid 4 which should be free of such defaults. Just remember to also run Audio to the same exact input. Start simple and keep the same cable types both in and out until you get this part figured out. Then you can take advantage of any transcoding or better...upconversion from the receiver.

As I said earlier, "AFAIK, the instructions in the user's manual cover all that." I wonder if he has looked at it.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks agin for the replies. And yes, I have looked at the manual, but it is not to helpful. It simply tells you to choose your connections and go from there. Well, I thought I could go HDMI from the LCD to the AVR and then go S-video from the Sat. box to the AVR (Standard rca and composite video or S-video are the only options for the Sat. Box), but that doesn't work correctly. I get the sound from one channel and the picture from another. I wish the manual was a little more in depth but its not. It looks like I need to upgrade my Sat. reciever to the HD model inorder to get the HDMI connection. Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality and picture quality with the HDMI connections?

· Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psclark /forum/post/15407250

Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality and picture quality with the HDMI connections?

Sound quality would be identical with all digital outputs (optical, HDMI etc*). Digital outputs may be better than analog, but I can't say that definitively. Either analog, optical/coax or HDMI, audio is going to sound very much the same.

For video, there is a small advantage is staying digital, hence HDMI should have the advantage. Composite is the worst video connection (the yellow connection in your standard YWR AV cable.) S-Video is slightly better as it has a higher bandwidth. Component is next best with even more bandwidth. HDMI is best for digital sources. Using analog from a digital source, such as your sat receiver requires an digital to analog conversion then the TV has to convert from analog back to digital.

Surprisingly, I have not seen a huge improvement with HDMI though. Theoretically, it would provide the best connection for digital video.

HDMI does not always work well, especially with cable/sattelite boxes due to poor implementations. Which means ultimately, it may be the WORST connection.

* There are technical reasons they may not be identical, but only a few die hard audiophiles worry about such things

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.