AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I opened up the projector case (8 screws) and lifted off the front cover. However, I have no idea where the LCD panel is or how to get to it (or even what it looks like). Is there something else I have to remove? I ended up spraying compressed air over the entire units crevices hoping to clean out my projector's dust blobs...didn't work. Any help or link to pictures on how to do this for the L300U would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Oopium, I have an insert in my Projector Setup Database on how to do this. See link below.

HTH

Xander

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much. I have another question. I have a cluster of blue pixels that appear to be either stuck pixels or a dust blob. They are very focused and bright. However, they don't appear until 45min after I turn the projector on. Is this normal or are stuck pixels supposed to appear immediately?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My impression is that stuck pixels always appear directly after switch on. Normally you can make a dust blob clearer by adjusting the focus to bring the dust blob into focus (causing the rest of the picture to go out of focus). If you can do that, it would typically indicate a dust blob. Also, if blowing air into the correct spot makes the spot move, then it is abviously also dust or something similar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I had a huge dust blob that I was able to clear out thanks to your link. However, I just watched a movie and that bright blue cluster is still there so unfortunately it's not a dust blob. But the weird thing is that it won't appear until the projector has been on for a while (45min). I don't know what's going on and was hoping someone could explain. It's almost a perfect square, mostly blue some green, and about 16 pixels I'm guessing...it's very annoying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xander
Oopium, I have an insert in my Projector Setup Database on how to do this. See link below.

HTH

Xander
Dear Xander,

I saw your article about cleaning the LCD panels of dust in www.avstuff.net.

6. With the projector on it's side hold the can of air vertical (THIS IS IMPORTANT! ) and blow a few sharp bursts down either side of the ribbons where they go down into the optical path.

I want to know the above 6th in further details. Could you help me about this?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I asked Xander by email when I joined his forum. The LCD ribbons/cables are the three wide copper color ribbon cables going into the PC board (a few inches below the lens). On my first attempt and before I asked Xander, I had thought that they were the ribbons below the board and was spraying air there but I did not remove my blue dust blob (in fact, I got a new green one). On my second attempt and spraying into the slits where the wide copper ribbon cables go, I got rid of the two blobs! I also turned the projector on each side to make sure I could spray each cable and keep the air duster can upright.

I'm using a VCR cover to put over my projector when it is not in use.

Thanks Xander!!! :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
>>>>>>I'm using a VCR cover to put over my projector when it is not in use.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My projector is on coffee table. I noticed my dust blob after about 50 hours -- and after not using the projector, at that time uncovered, for few days.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Gotcha. I'm at about 40 hours, so 50 is sooner than I wanted to hear. Although, my use will steadily slow down as many of those 40 hours has been testing and sampling stuff.

I too am thinking about covering when it is not in use, and uncovering only when company is here (and of course when viewing.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.