AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My one family person gave me a really big and tall and very heavy subwoofer. This subwoofer is not powered so it requires a separate amp to power it and he gave me an older SAE 2200 amp. And he switched my speakers and he gave me his Rogers and I gave him my B&W 686. And my Intergra receiver had something wrong internally where the right channel was out. So he bought me a $180 Yamaha receiver RX-V377. I have a 40" Insignia TV and a Sony Blu-ray player and a WDTV and a desktop computer. My cable box is analog only. How would I connect everything? Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The most efficient, least vexing solution is to hire someone to do it for you. In a town/city of reasonable size you should be able to find a competent technician who would do a job like this for $50-100 plus materials.

Start with equipment stores in your area; quite possibly you'll find a knowledgeable salesperson who will do your job in his off hours.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
But how would I do this on my own and without paying someone to do it for me?
It difficult to instruct someone by typing out the step by step instructions. The reciever serves as the heart of the system, since typically all Audio/video source components (ie blu ray player) will run through it out to the speakers and tv/projector.

That being said, the reciever manual will typically show diagrams in the front of how everything is connected. Please review that and come back with specific questions

Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is how I connected it.

TV to HDMI OUT on receiver
Blu-ray player to HDMI 1 BD/DVD on receiver
And I forget where the analog cable box is connected too like which INPUT.

Now my TV does come on and I do get cable sound from the cable box through the receiver.

However, the Blu-ray player does turn on and I am able to open/eject the tray, but on my TV using my TV remote and changing the INPUT and it won't let me change to HDMI 1 which with my TV it means the HDMI wiring is incorrect. With my TV and it would let me change the input once the source device is turned on. The source device is turned on but is not recognizing it as any HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But how would I do this on my own and without paying someone to do it for me?
It difficult to instruct someone by typing out the step by step instructions. The reciever serves as the heart of the system, since typically all Audio/video source components (ie blu ray player) will run through it out to the speakers and tv/projector.

That being said, the reciever manual will typically show diagrams in the front of how everything is connected. Please review that and come back with specific questions

Ron
Ron,

I do have specifics questions to ask.

For the PC to TV and to receiver only. Also, this is how everything else is connected.

Alright, my PC does have DVI, HDMI, and VGA.

Connect my monitor to DVI instead of VGA, correct?
Now for PC to get sound, should I connect PC directly to receiver via 3.5mm stereo in PC sound card to receiver with the red/white audio into like AV 4? If not, should I use HDMI instead? If so, should PC be connected to TV directly? Or to receiver? If to receiver than I assume it would going to HDMI 2?

Now, I received an HD cable box. And this is how everything is connected.

TV to cable box via HDMI
Cable box to receiver via audio cables to AV 5
Blu-ray player to receiver via HDMI into HDMI 1 BD DVD

·
Registered
41 Posts
We can't answer because your statements are confusing. Did you follow the diagrams in your receiver manual?

Here's the basic principle for the simplest setup:

HDMI from Receiver HDMI out to your TV. HDMI from everything else to your various receiver HDMI inputs.

In this arrangement, you change sources at the receiver, not the TV; the TV always stays on the same HDMI input. You will also want to program one of your remotes -- probably the receiver remote -- to control the other machines. Or you could juggle multiple remotes.

To repeat: everything goes into the receiver. Only the receiver is connected to the TV. You change sources by switching from one receiver input to the next.

I can't help you with connecting a computer to a surround sound system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much!

For connecting the PC, what section of this forum should I post my thread in?

I am very sorry and I did not mean to make my statements confusing.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hello,

My one family person gave me a really big and tall and very heavy subwoofer. This subwoofer is not powered so it requires a separate amp to power it and he gave me an older SAE 2200 amp. And he switched my speakers and he gave me his Rogers and I gave him my B&W 686. And my Intergra receiver had something wrong internally where the right channel was out. So he bought me a $180 Yamaha receiver RX-V377. I have a 40" Insignia TV and a Sony Blu-ray player and a WDTV and a desktop computer. My cable box is analog only. How would I connect everything? Thank you!
You can find used, powered amps for cheap. just do that instead of going down that road. The guy gave it away for a reason.

How you connect everything is through your receiver. Read the manual. Look on youtube for videos of how to do it. Just skip the passive sub.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello,

You can find used, powered amps for cheap. just do that instead of going down that road. The guy gave it away for a reason.

How you connect everything is through your receiver. Read the manual. Look on youtube for videos of how to do it. Just skip the passive sub.
Do you mean what he gave me is not good?

·
Registered
453 Posts
No, the prior postergave you good advice. The poster just above is talking about your subwoofer.

Again, tv to receiver via hdmi. Tv always stays on same input. You use the receiver to switch which device is bring sent to the tv. So you change the input on the receiver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, the prior postergave you good advice. The poster just above is talking about your subwoofer.

Again, tv to receiver via hdmi. Tv always stays on same input. You use the receiver to switch which device is bring sent to the tv. So you change the input on the receiver.
And connect PC monitor to PC tower via DVI and not VGA? And should the PC tower be connected to the TV directly? Or into the receiver directly? And if into the receiver than should it go into HDMI 1 via HDMI cables? Or use stereo to audio?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are dozens of threads on this forum about hooking up a PC to a receiver. I seen and read the threads but none of those threads not even one post suggesting the owner's manual to read. This is the only thread suggesting this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
@baseball, you need to read your manual, if you do not have one, find it online. We can only give you the same information so many times before it is quite evident you will be better served reading what others are telling you straight from the manual. Forget, if you will, that your TV has multiple inputs and outputs, once your TV is hooked up to the primary output on your receiver completely forget about fiddling with TV settings and I/O. Instead, focus on your receiver. All input to the receiver will be solely controlled by the receiver, it should have buttons on the front, as well as your remote to do so. Focus on getting one thing working, the easiest would be your BluRay player. Plug the HDMI cable from your blu ray player into one of the inputs on your receiver. Your PC will follow similar rules, you don't need separate threads for this, everyone here has done this before numerous times and many of us used a manual our first time. The same rules always apply.

For you, it might be easiest to remember if you plug it into the Blu-Ray/DVD HDMI input. Once it is plugged in and powered on, along with your receiver, and TV, make sure your TV is on the correct input for whatever port your receiver is plugged into. You should now see the Blu-Ray player's splash screen on the TV. Simply do the same thing for your other items, your manual WILL tell you where and how to plug everything in. It will save a lot of time just reading it instead of posting followups here, trust me. This is not a dig on you, you will just be better served with the manual at this point.

The reason we are suggesting read the manual is because your responses are cryptic, and you do not seem fully capable of following our instructions properly, so a professionally written document may be of greater assistance. All receivers and modern TV's have the same input output rules as one another, so there is no reason yours would be different.
Also, don't try to multi-task and get speakers set up when you're still having video issues.

Reactions: rboster and kitti

·
Registered
125 Posts
It also depends if you have a 4K TV and who you want to do the upscaling to 4k... you may want to have the TV do the upscaling since the receiving may not have the same performance and you get a worse picture using it... think about that too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts